Sensei Coyle (Koyo)'s Memorial

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by makotokai, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Shiho-Nage

Shiho-Nage I'm okay to go.

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

A profound amount of knowledge and wisdom has been stripped from the earth.

Though I never had the privilege of having met him or trained with him I will miss his input here. His deep knowledge of budo; his eagerness to share; his humor and even hand (even when dealing with internet tough guys (tm)) was unique, especially in the world of martial arts with all of its posturing and ego.

I imagine he is trading stories and techniques with all of the other greats that went before him.

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

RIP, Koyo. You and your always-great insights will be missed.

3. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

A knowledgable sincere and aimiable man who shied away from any kind of ego enhancing here on MAP .

Always willing to offer sound advice and a smile I will miss your presence here on MAP

Safe journey Koyo Sensei

Domo arigato goza imashta..

Smurf

4. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Polar Bear had the smarts to post some of these on youtube.
    I really enjoyed these quite a few times.

This one I liked very much, you get a good view of the man and to hear his words.

enjoy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8IfbmwXFM&feature=related"]YouTube - Part 3 of 3: Traditional Aikido - William Coyle[/ame]

5. Dao

Dao Valued Member

Condolences and sympathies to his friends and family.

Dao

6. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

Very sad to hear this. I didn't get a chance to get to know him as well as others on the forum, but from what I know he was a very respected man, with great wisdom, and an all-round great person. May you rest in peace.

7. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

There's a 3 part show to that i found......I havent watched a whole lot of aikido, but you can tell He is very good. I also like his scottish accent :) You can tell his students no doubt loved him. :)

8. Meibukanadian

Meibukanadian Valued Member

A great loss to us all. As a newcomer to these forums, I always read any posts by Koyo with great interest. His years of martial arts and life experience provided great insight, and I always felt that I learned something.

Eerie coincidence...February 7th is also the day back in 2003 when the martial arts world lost Meitoku Yagi of Goju-ryu fame. I will have two martial arts greats to remember on that day from hereon.

RIP Sensei Coyle.

9. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Wow. So shocked to see this. My condolences to his family. I am saddened by the news and yet, as I read through this thread, I couldn't help having a smile dance across my lips as others recalled some of their moments of interaction with Sensei Coyle/Koyo, some of which I bore silent witness to. These were moments where I learned, about martial attitude, about life, and it feels so good to recollect those moments, to be aware of the impact that he had on me and on MAP in general.

You will be missed Sensei Koyo.

dormindo

10. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Wow. Sorry to hear that. RIP Koyo. You will be missed.

11. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I never met Sensei Coyle in real life and that is my loss, my only interaction with him was through this here forum, but it is easy to see that he was well loved and respected going by the outpouring of messages on his memorial thread.

Actually, strike that, "was" well loved?? I mean "is" well loved.

I'm actually quite taken aback at how shocked I feel, Lord only knows how his family and friends are feeling at this very sad time. My condolences to you all and my deepest sympathies.

Thank you Sensei Coyle for spending some of your time with us here on MAP, thank you for sharing your knowledge of the martial arts and in offering sound advice and methodologies. You will be sorely missed.

We'll see you when we get there sir. Rest in peace...

12. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Sensei Coyle was a contributor to this site whose posts/replies I would look forward to reading. Over the years I came to expect and welcome a mix of practical knowledge, life experience, patience, humour, and a talent for teaching that came across in the way he expressed himself and explained his views. Furthermore, it was evident from his posts that he had a full and dynamic life separate from the martial arts despite his obvious dedication to them.

I am sad that I never got to meet him in person, or buy him a drink to thank him for all the good advice, directly or indirectly that he gave here. He was, and is an inspiration.

My sympathy goes to his close friends and family who I'm sure will feel his loss keenly.

Thank you Koyo.

13. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

14. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

My Sempai Slim, a life.

It was around 1968/9 when I first met Slim. I was a judoka but I felt a need for change. I met this slightly built man at aJudo competition and struck up a conversation with him. We then parted company. About 18 months later having searched high and low for an Aikido class I ended up in this dojo .The instructor looked familiar. Yes, you guessed it , the instructor was Slim my erstwhile companion at the Judo event.
    In the ensuing years Slim as the dojo head was a exceptional leader .We had by this time contacted Chiba Sensei. Chiba Sensei was in his prime and the training was intense, not for the faint hearted or the shrinking violet. As ever Slim took this in his stride.He also was as you may know from his blogs on M.A.P willing and very able to set challenges for himself in other disciplines.He was an all round Martial Artist.
    As a man, he was generous, very funny, and in my view a modern day Renaissance man .Slim was exceptional talented.A musician, a incredible artist, an author of fiction and Aikido books and was a reviewer off Japanese films. He had an extensive library of books relating to all types of subject matter.
    In the early days Slims career in common with most people living in a deprived area was a bit shaky [ he worked in a distillery ].However fate took him in a new direction. He became a Youth Worker in Possilpark[a place where gangs etc were prevalent]. He took to this job like a duck to water and his talents and personality did much to enhance the lives of so many potential tearaways.
    Due to my moving house we did not see each other for quite some time.As I said he studied with Saito Sensei I continued my study with Chiba Sensei.However as my original teacher and more importantly my friend I express my deep sadness at his passing.I also wish to express my grateful thanks to Slim for all his efforts over a 40 + years dedicated to preserving the art of Aikido and refusing to dilute the arts martial aspect.
    Last but not least I wish to express on behalf of the Aikido community
    my /our deepest sympathy and condolences to Jan and their family , friends and the members of the Makotokai. I am sure that the legacy left by Slim will continue. For myself I have lost a man who I owe so much to, both as an Aikidoka and as my dear friend.R.I.P
    With much respect , sadness and love,
    Jenny/Joe Curran.

15. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

My Sempai Slim, a life.

It was around 1968/9 when I first met Slim. I was a judoka but I felt a need for change. I met this slightly built man at aJudo competition and struck up a conversation with him. We then parted company. About 18 months later having searched high and low for an Aikido class I ended up in this dojo .The instructor looked familiar. Yes, you guessed it , the instructor was Slim my erstwhile companion at the Judo event.
    In the ensuing years Slim as the dojo head was a exceptional leader .We had by this time contacted Chiba Sensei. Chiba Sensei was in his prime and the training was intense, not for the faint hearted or the shrinking violet. As ever Slim took this in his stride.He also was as you may know from his blogs on M.A.P willing and very able to set challenges for himself in other disciplines.He was an all round Martial Artist.
    As a man, he was generous, very funny, and in my view a modern day Renaissance man .Slim was exceptional talented.A musician, a incredible artist, an author of fiction and Aikido books and was a reviewer off Japanese films. He had an extensive library of books relating to all types of subject matter.
    In the early days Slims career in common with most people living in a deprived area was a bit shaky [ he worked in a distillery ].However fate took him in a new direction. He became a Youth Worker in Possilpark[a place where gangs etc were prevalent]. He took to this job like a duck to water and his talents and personality did much to enhance the lives of so many potential tearaways.
    Due to my moving house we did not see each other for quite some time.As I said he studied with Saito Sensei I continued my study with Chiba Sensei.However as my original teacher and more importantly my friend I express my deep sadness at his passing.I also wish to express my grateful thanks to Slim for all his efforts over a 40 + years dedicated to preserving the art of Aikido and refusing to dilute the arts martial aspect.
    Last but not least I wish to express on behalf of the Aikido community
    my /our deepest sympathy and condolences to Jan and their family , friends and the members of the Makotokai. I am sure that the legacy left by Slim will continue. For myself I have lost a man who I owe so much to, both as an Aikidoka and as my dear friend.R.I.P
    With much respect , sadness and love,
    Jenny/Joe Curran.

16. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Brilliantly said ,

Thank you

Alan

17. Dikzzz

Dikzzz Valued Member

I am truly sad to read this.
    He was one of the true gents on any forum I've been on, and I always enjoyed what he said.

But I'm glad that he lives on in the people he inspired in real life and on this forum.

18. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

6 pages of praise for the mans life and sorrow at his passing, i think that says it all.

We here at MAP will miss his presence and send oour deepest regards to his friends and family.
    The world of martial arts has lost out.

19. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Never knew him, wish I did. Liked him enough to be gutted to hear of his passing. The average standard of world aikido has no doubt slumped for his absence from it. All the best to his friends and family.

20. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

A very sad day indeed, when I first joined the map community he was amoung the first to welcome me which lead me to read many of his inspirational posts, I quickly formed the opinion he was a very wise man and with the response to this thread obviously a great martial artist and human being!

R.I.P koyo your insight and humerous banter will be sadly missed.

reagards Kamau