Rocket's training critic

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Gripfighter, Oct 9, 2010.

1. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

till you can get to a gym learn proper squatting and deadlift (of someone who has experince), do it a lot, do it heavy (but safe) the people at the gym are paid to show you the lifts, make them earn their keep.

Hell i make the buggers spot me if I'm on my own, they can grumble all they want, its their job...

You've a point with the box jumps and stuff, I don't see why you need to deviate from squatting, deadlifting, OHPing, benching and bent over rows/kroc rows fo a very long time.

the odd sprint wont do any harm too...

2. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

do you mean squatting with weights I take it ?

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

You want criticism?? Here?? I'm sorry but no one here ever criticizes anyone else, I think its a rule or something...... (sarcasm ok?)

4. seiken steve

With lots of weight...

5. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

True, but a word or two of caution: It's fine to encourage people to start lifting heavy, but don't just tell them to left heavy as a bottom line. He needs to master basic bodyweight exercises before he tries adding external resistance. If he rushes into lifting a bunch of weight right off the bat, he could injure himself very seriously. There's more to getting beastly strong than lifting heavy.

6. seiken steve

Admittedly.
    I just think that before diving into all the wonderful world of plyo’s and all the other more complex stuff, a good base level of strength should be achieved (by picking up heavy stuff)
    I don’t see any point in doing hundreds of plyo squats of example before the basic back squat mastered with at least bodyweight (inc. bar)
    I think at all but the very highest level most fighters have no need of complicated routines, just big lifts, road work, sprints and MA training, the odd complex cant hurt too.
    It’s just my opinion, I agree with what you’re saying but big lifts are still king IMO

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I really don't see a problem with starting lifting without mastering bodyweight stuff. It is generally easier to add resistance and monitor progress with weighted exercises than with bodyweight stuff. I do think that the initial focus of any lifting program should be technique rather than trying to add as much weight as possible. Try to find a gym with qualified coaches (not idiot personal trainers who have no clue what they are doing).

I would disagree with the claim that to get seriously strong you need to lift weights. Serious strength can be built with bodyweight exercises, but it will take longer to progress and, as I said above, it is much more difficult to monitor progress.