Return to training routine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by tl Eric, Sep 6, 2006.

1. tl Eric

tl Eric I think I'll have a Tab

Help with return to training routine?

Hey all, been a long time since I posted here, good to see some old faces/avatars still going strong. Been sitting on my ass for a while due to this knee injury and have had a lot of time to look over the boards. Thought I'd put together a training program that I'll be starting in about 3 weeks when my knee is good to go. I'm pretty out of shape at the moment and about 8kgs overweight, been about a year since i've been on any sort of regular program and I don't have access a gym.

It's really basic so critique the hell out of it and help me build on it, after reading through it I definately need help with stretches. On Tue and Thu I can have my cousin help me with stretching so assisted stretches might be a good idea on those days.

Monday:
    Boxing 6-8pm
    1st hour is broken up into 3min rnds skipping then between rnds 10-20 each of a bodyweight exercise like pushups and situps, i can choose which exercises. Roughly 10 rounds of this then about a 3k run, sometimes stair sprints.

Stretching 8-8:30pm
    Basic stretches focusing mainly on legs and pelvis which are very tight at the moment

Tuesday:
    Roll/Spar 10-11:30am
    Light boxing or mma sparring with my cousin. If we box we generally do about 10-15 rounds with 1-2 min rest inbetween rounds. If we roll we just kinda go till we get over it, probably 45mins ish. Very informal session

Stretching 11:30-12pm
    Legs/pelvis and wanting to focus on neck after rolling

Wednesday:
    Trainer 7-8am
    Hooked up with a trainer who's gonna help me with core strength and cardio twice a week. Will let you know what he's putting me through when we start, don't think we'll go near a weights room but there will be sand

Work 3pm-2amish
    Bar work, will be on my feet the whole time, sit down in the restaurant and have dinner for about 15mins as my break

Thursday:
    Roll/spar 10-11:30
    As above

Stretching 11:30-12pm
    As above

Work 3pm-2amish
    As above

Friday
    Trainer 8-9
    Will let you know what we're doing when I start with him

Work or boxing PM
    depending if I have to work or not, both will be as above

Saturday
    Rest/Stretch

Sunday
    Mountain bike ride, usually around 20k's at a medium pace, plenty of stops as it's usually a social ride and we wait for everyone. Stretch post ride. Occasionally it's on Saturday

That's it, please let me know what you think. I realise it might be a bit hard without knowing what my trainer is going to do. He has some MMA knowledge and used to work/train with Chris Haseman so I'm hoping he'll help me gain functional strength with I can use in MMA

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  2. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

Let us know how it goes with the trainer.

I'm usually tight thru the legs, hips, and lower back. I've never been big on stretching, but I got a real hard on for yoga. Poses like Triangle/Revolved Triangle, Extended Angle/Revolved Extended Angle, Dancer, and Warrior 3 all really help me out. These poses lengthen the entire body and requires a bit of stabilization if your not used to them. They really loosen up my back, legs and hips all at the same time. Up dog and down dog are quintessential poses used everyday. There's about 2 dozen poses that I use, those are just my favorites. By stringing together a series of poses I never get bored, no counting seconds, my breathing marks the stretch, and every routine is unique.

If you can't get to a yoga class there are dozens of good books on the subgect. I'm partial to Hatha and Astanga styles, and am experimenting with Namaste yoga.