Real Life story for those who doubt Chinese medicine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by jinkan, Feb 19, 2011.

1. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

No, in a couple of examples I have extended your arguments to their logical conclusion. You argued against steroids as being damaging to the long term health of an asthma sufferer, without any apparent consideration that during an attack they're rather vital to the short term health of said sufferer.

And that it's all profit motivated.

I've agreed that some is about treating symptoms rather than causes - where, for example, the symptoms would otherwise be debilitating and the person unable to function. However you argued, and have never mentioned otherwise, that the reason for this is profit motivated rather than an understanding that the body is capable of healing itself.

Still nope. I am not going to agree with you that the entire health care system is designed to keep people ill but alive and extract as much money from them as possible - as you have said repeatedly.

And allopathic medicine is a derogatory term invented by the founder of homeopathy in order to attack evidence-based medicine. You, yourself, said that homeopathy was bunk. I think this is the third time I've mentioned this now.

2. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

I meant agree to disagree as in you have your views and i will have mine, lets part ways on this discussion because not only are you just constantly asking me the same questions and me giving you the same answers, it must be boring for anyone else reading the same crap page for page which i have answered about 100 times.

Unless you want to sit for days asking me the same 3 or 4 questions and me giving you the same 3 or 4 answers lets just agree to disagree or talk about something else.

3. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

If you are bored with him I would like to continue the discussion of what "natural" means to you.

4. Rhizome

If you are meaning me then i guess it would depend what material they had used to create the dam. If it was natural trees, plants etc then i guess it would be leaning more in the direction of being a natural occurance.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

We can discuss this too.
    Antibiotics for example.
    My daughter gets antibiotics for her ear infections. They do nothing for the symptoms (nasty gunk coming out, inflammation, irritableness, pain etc) but directly treat the cause (gribbly nasties in earhole). If that doesn't work then other measures can be used (she's had gromits too).
    Vaccines. Arguably more pre-emptive in nature than any alt-med can ever be. They go right to the root cause without addressing symptoms at all.

6. Rhizome

Why can't it be a balance of both though there are many conditions where modern medicine is either only mildly useful or helpful with suppressing some of your symptoms, the key being SOME.

Menopause for example if symptoms are bad your only choice from modern medicine is usually side effect ridden HRT(Hormonal Replacement Therapy) which as many women are now clued up on is often not worth the side effects that result. Multiple studies have shown the benefits of phyto-estrogen rich foods and herbs such as soy and black cohosh, sage etc for example, have shown in studies to be effective for relieving the benefits associated with menopause. I could list many examples of where alternative medicine is superior than modern medicine, liver support herbs such as milk thistle being one. Show me the pharmaceutical modern medicine equivelent of these herbs that not only protect the liver but also speed up the rate of regeneration in liver cells.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Finding that balance will be achieved by applying the rigour of western medicine.
    Not the anecdotes, wishful thinking, wacky theories and anti-medicine so prevelent in alt-med.

8. Rhizome

Im all for using evidence and basic human physiology to back up what i say and have done this more than any other member so far in this thread with the studies ive posted.

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I'm hoping you'll eventually answer the question I've been asking over and over again, rather than rambling on about irrelevancies. You still haven't retracted your conspiracy theory that modern medicine is there to keep us sick and profit from us.

10. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

If it worked, why would it be 'alternative'? You're just repeating hearsay.

11. Rhizome

Im not going to answer this question for the 150th time. Please read back my posts this has been answered directly about 15 times on the last page alone.

12. Rhizome

Not sure what you mean ?. As already stated the pharmaceutical companies can't patent natural herbs and plants as medicine. They must isolate the compounds and create them as a synthetic compounds in order to be able to apply for a patent.

So double blind placebo controlled studies only apply to synthetic chemicals and nothing else. If so then everything is up for grabs no using creatine, fish oil/omega-3s and other proven natural supplements. If omega-3s were so good for preventing heart and cardiovascular diseases then physicians would prescribe them and they don't so that means there useless natural crap for health obviously.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  13. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

You have, grudgingly, said that it has its place.

Yet you still haven't retracted your profiteering conspiracy allegations. You claim to agree with evidence based claims, yet you've maligned an entire profession and industry on the basis of your own limited experience of an apparently poorly performing member.

With the same amount of evidence as you've used to attack the mainstream medical industry (and in fact on your own evidence) I could say that the entire alternative industry is full of profiteers who don't even treat your symptoms, and will happily take £30k from someone over the course of a decade without doing a single even remotely productive thing.

14. Rhizome

You are boring me now LilBunnyRabbit, sorry but yawn. As i said i am not willing to go on with this discussion with you unless you change the topic, your questions have been answered numerous times.

15. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Ooh, a new tack. Accusing me of being boring instead of stupid. I'm making progress. :D

You have yet to answer the question.

16. Rhizome

Just because i said you couldn't follow or read my posts doesn't equate to me calling you stupid. More gross exaguration on your part of course.

Good night.

17. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

OK, can you give me an example of an unnatural tree or plant that might be used by beavers to build dams?

In fact give me one example of anything that actually exists and that doesn't occur in nature.

18. Rhizome

That didn't occur in nature at one point ? Hmm im not up on my man made synthetic materials lol.

By definition any material made through human effort is considered man made aka un-natural so you could technically say the cardboard from a box of cornflakes.

19. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

And why would something being man-made make it unnatural?

20. Rhizome

It may not but by definition the opposite of natural is man-made, unnatural, artificial etc. Anything altered by man or science is considerd un-natural due to the natural form being altered.