Rapists- Deserving of mercy?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rainofblades, Aug 13, 2005.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL! I've some kind of clue, as I've been punching your dance ticket this entire thread. :D

Note the last part in bold. It is insignificant indeed. You're the one who originally brought the issue into it. Your weak attempt at metaphor was just that. Weak. Don't get your panties in a knot now that it's spiralled out of control and spawned it's own thread. :D

BTW... playing with Google doesn't make your position look any better.

Sorry, the thread has moved past your oversimplification of the issue... known as 'the kneejerk response'... if you care to run back over the thread and take a look at what's been posted I think you'll find that I've contributed plenty... as for yourself... well besides kneejerkin' you managed to get seperate thread launched. :D

I'll save anything having to do with dogs for that thread... and in the process maybe save a bit of face for you. :D

2. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Whatever...

3. BendzR

BendzR New Member

It's called backing up his statements. Nothing wrong with that. It actually does add credibility to his view point.

Instead of name slinging, how about arguing with his points if you so strongly disagree.

4. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hmmm...seems everyone is getting a little heated here. I appreciate this is a hard topic to discuss about but just you're all calling each other "silly" and "knee jerking" all over the place doesn't make it right.

Maybe this thread has run its course, I'll be watching closely with interest...

5. slipthejab

How about you go back and read what was originally posted and consider the context and then read the posts that I wrote that show the correlations that MarioBro is trying to draw between dogs biting children and the establishment of laws, punishment and due process in relation to rapists are absurd. :eek:

Using Google to post a definition of metaphors doesn't make the metaphor applicable. What good does it do when the metaphor is an exceedingly weak one that has little if any application to the topic at hand?

What's more is that the metaphor used is based on an absurd theory that any dog that bites a person more than one time should be put down.

Silly at best... absolutely inane at worst. :D

6. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

I have to admit, I totally agree with you on this one.

In the area where I live and also my brother's, the kids at the age of about 12 upwards go for that challenge. They look for someone a lot older so they can snare them into bed, as men are usually weak in that area, they won't have a problem. My mothers next door neighbour's daughters got pregnant through this and the parents never called the police even though the guys was old enough to be her father. I think there are far too many parents willing to accept rape in this day and age even though it's their kids are being left holding the baby at the end of the day. There needs to be teaching in schools about what is legal and the law should be enforced to make sure the guys pay for their crimes. They do walk into it and they should know if they even look under age, I'm sure men like this get a warning signal inside but they always go for the thrill and go for it regardlass of the consequences
    lisa xx

7. Angry Fist

Angry Fist New Member

It's like that movie I think it's judge dred? Where a cop catches the perpetrator before he actually commits a crime, then judges him and carries out the sentance there and then before the "crime" actually took place.

Personally, I've debated this but still haven't reached a conclusion because extending help to others doesn't stop there. What happens if you see a theif mugging a couple of kids? Or a snatch and run robbery at a store? Or even someone threatening someone with a knife for money? I'm still not sure what the implications are and if we should get involved..

For example, one new years eve, one of my mates (who also does Jujitsu like me) and I got seperated from our other buddies and we ended up wandering around. Then there was a bunch of yelling and screaming and the next thing that happens, a massive ring of people has formed up and two girls are fighting each other. One was laying into the other throwing punches left right and centre while the other was crying and had her hands covering her face, retreating the whole time. All the while there were two big cops dressed in working dress and boots and each with a big german shepard just standing there talking about stuff.

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Wow, you really know jack about the legal system?

Go find yourself some stats on the number of cases which actually go to trial. I think the number is 5%. That means 95% plead guilty. Of the 5% that go to trial, most are found guilty. So the number of people who walk out of a courtroom free and clear is pretty slim, so please stop making the utterly incorrect assumption that I spend my days and nights figuring out how to make society more dangerous. :rolleyes:

And make sure the next one doesn't support my position, ok? ;)

9. slipthejab

the post of mine that you've quoted is a response to this post by PPF!:

I used the analogy of Bush deciding to wage war based on a perceived threat of a threat. Incredibley shaky ground on which to initiate a war.

PPF!'s misquided concept that intent is the same as the actual crime is just that.. misguieded. Funny enough it's that series of post's between myself and PPF! that brought MarioBro chiming in. Which led to further misguided posts that resulted in a thread about his theory that any dog that bites a person more than once should be executed... feel free to stop by and vote on the topic here:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38172

(note: at the time of this posting the poll's showed that an equal number of people thought Mario Bro should be executed for proposing such a lame idea as there were people who thought a dog was man's best friend and that there should be a stay of execution) :D

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  10. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

After 288 posts in this thread, I think I can savely conclude that:

No one thinks rapists deserve any mercy..

it's just we all have different views on the term mercy.

I think rapists do NOT deserve mercy, but they do deserve justice, like every other human being.

For me, justice, or, no mercy means a life-sentence, or solid jail-time with help from a psychiatrist.

I would like to smack their brains to, but that's just foolish, it will give me some satisfaction, but while I'm beating this guy, in some other place, a girl is getting raped...

now, there's another point of view I would like to make..

I haven't got any statistics to back this claim up, and I'm hereby calling all Dutch folks, especially you Jesh, to aid me on this on..

Would good prostitution, perhaps legalized work...??

I know rape is mostly a power-game, but a hooker you can pay much, and she will do whatever you like as long as you don't hit her...

Well, in Holland we have legalized prostitution, allthough there's alot of controversy about it...

Now, will this help prevent rapes?? I haven't got any evidence that it prevents and/or reduces rape, but if someone could prove me right or wrong?

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Nah, don't think legalised prostitution would work because it's fundementally a business transaction, not a means of forcing yourself upon a poor humiliated victim. Rape is primarily an attack, not a means of sexual relief.

12. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

But when you pay enough you can do a whole lot with a hooker.. even have some sort of role-playing-game, with her playing a harmless girl and you the evil brute.. or am I just plain wrong??

13. Sheyja

Sheyja Valued Member

It's funny how it's not okay for people to hurt each other out of choice, but it is okay to hurt someone because they hurt someone else previously. Surely it's the 'hurting' that's not so great? Surely the 'punishment', especially when you are the one to administer it, is not better than the 'crime'. And in fact, you are the one to perpetuate and continue the theme of hurting.

14. Kris x

Kris x :-p

Sonshu, yes.

I think that is another totally evil thing to do.

It must be absolutley devastating to be accused of something like rape when you are innocent.

I also know someone who said she had been raped when she hadn't then blame someone close to me for telling her to say it.
    I was totally speechless at this.
    She got what was coming though..

She has done this a number of times but no one believes her (thank god) or someone's life would well and truly be destroyed because of her lies.

She admitted they were lies to me when she was drunk one night.
    Just to get attention.

A day will come for people like this who will cry wolf too many times and no one will believe them.

As for life imprisonment....
    In jails these days I have heard of people who have sky etc in their cells.

Think about it a roof over their head, food on their table, nice little comforts... I somehow don't think that most people would be bothered with that.

Think of the prison their victim now lives in, one that they can not escape.

15. slipthejab

errm..

First off prostitution doesn't quite work on the grounds you've spelled out. You cannot just pay money and do whatever you want. Hookers specialize for the most part. Like everything else there is money in niche markets. So a tranny that still has gear downstairs, a fresh round of hormone treatments and a 36DD rack can make big bucks.

You'd be shocked the number of guys that consider themselves straight cats but then get a few beers under their lids and next thing you know they're going whole hog on the Mix-It-'n-Hit--It-Lick-It-'n-Split-It! :eek:

But even getting freaky deaky as that doesn't mean he/she's up for water sports or S&M just because she's on the game. There are different levels of hookers from the low end to the high end... the lifers that support a skag habit on one end and the freelancers that dabble from time to time on the other end.

Rape is primarily a crime of rage and one that relies on the rapist being able to dominate, humiliate and degrade the victim. There are not many hookers who specialize in that end of the S&M niche. For good reason... it'd be too easy for them to end up dead. I don't think that kind of role playing would really satisfy the urge of most rapists anyhow. I think the dynamic is too different.

As far as I'm aware there isn't any correllation between the legalization of prostitution and the reduction in rape.

Here's the numbers for you country:

They apparently rank 7th in the world according to these numbers. Draw whatever conclusions you will.

16. slipthejab

Here is some interesting and relevant information regarding the issue at hand... It's primarily in regards to Sweden... who'd have thought the Vikings would ever have become so progressive?!?! :D

Talk about exhaustive. Some really interesting ways to spend money on social programs and the like. Not that I'd expect anything even close to this would ever be adopted by the US... but anything would be a step in the right direction.

It's long but give it a read. Interesting food for thought.

17. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

i don't think legalizing prostitution would help lower the statistics for rape...

for one..rapists rape because of the joy they get from over-coming a woman and paying one to be over-comed isn't the same. Just like there are some rapists who cannot perform, unless they are over coming the woman and in the end the prostitute is willing to do so.

On top of that, here in the US some states do have legalized prostitution..like Nevada..like las vegas .(surprise surprise). I think it is just because, they know there is a lot of prostitution around..why not be able to tax it, and make it a legal job. War on prostitution is about as point-less as the war on drugs..i don't ever see it coming to an end.

Final Conclusion: Rapists don't deserve mercy to me, they take something away from people that i honestly believe cannot be given back to them, no matter how hard they try to get over it. They do however deserve justice, only because in the end we are all human beings, and committing a crime might be animal of him, but it doesn't make them an animal all their life. (although for some people who commit crimes, they sometimes just never learn.)

DJ Hunny

18. Kris x

Kris x :-p

Hunnysan,
    I would agree with you on the justice maybe if it was GBH of something like that.
    But raping someone in my eye's deserves no justice.
    I do see your point however.
    And also just to add, the rapist is not always a him.

About the prostition being legalised...
    Can I just point out that there is some girls out there forced to be on the street?
    If it was leaglised it would be easier for their......pimp(?) to put them out there against their will.
    Just pointing that out.

Kris xx

19. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

I apologize for mis-stating...i know that men are not he only people who rape...i have also heard stories in school bout men getting raped also. I just simply mis-stated myself..thanks for pointing that out.

I can't stand pimps, i don't understand what it is that makes prostitutes depend on them and keep them "safe" when they are the ones beating them. I love the video on bullshido when the pimp gets pimp slapped (judo chop) by a martial artist...cuz he was beating his prostitute..it was hilarious...

20. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

That's good because this means we're talking about the same thing... ;)

And I totally agree with this... they have to be punsihed.

Same goes for murderers. There is a high probablity that they will kill again and they also create traumatized victims. Sorry, but still not convinced.

But you have to agree that like most rapes, murders don't usually occur accidentally.