Questions about Mormon beliefs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Xanth, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

God, as an exalted man from another time/place etc created the heaven and the earth (with Jesus's help?) and placed his spiritual son (michael) and daughter here as Adam and Eve, immortal beings. They were made mortal by their sin and started the process by which we all can gain exaltation to become gods ourselves. Is any of that wrong? if so, can a mormon practioner please correct me. I don't follow any particular organized religion, but I've always been fascinated by them and how each interprets and sees the same or similar events.

Thanks

2. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

you couldn't think of a better forum to ask this question than one called martial arts planet ? well known for its large Mormon community as it is.

3. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

This is the Religion sub-forum is it not? I prefer to hear from the Mormon folk here, if any before I expand my search further out.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

There are several Mormons who are members of this forum, but after some pretty unpleasant verbal treatment by other members of the board in the religion subforum, I'd be kind of surprised if they still checked this subforum. Just as an FYI; that's probably why you're not getting many responses.

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Really, if you're in the minority here you can get flamed pretty badly. You learn what you can talk about and what not to.

6. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Amen...oh oh

7. It seems to be encouraged by the mods............. and they participate too, but the list of people involved in the hammering is quite short...
    Lessons:
    - Don't be in the minority.
    - Share the ideas than the MAP party - anything novel, different, or outside of their world won't be tolerated: The Party only watches MSM.
    - Any head that sticks out will be hammered like a rusty nail.
    - All MAPpers are not equal in front of TOS and its enforcement.

Osu!

8. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Oh Oh

9. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I'd be genuinely interested in knowing where this has come from, as I'm not aware of any such issues being widespread and I try to keep on top of most of what's going on on the forum.

Certainly it's not my intention that everyone should conform to the status quo, other than the terms of service (which can more or less be summarised as "be mostly respectful to each other and don't abuse the owners' hospitality"). The idea of the community is to generally be welcoming, with the exception of persistent trolls, spammers and those who go out of their way to annoy the mods on a regular basis. As long as someone fits those guidelines, I'm happy for them to be here.

Apologies for the off topic, just wanted to throw that in there.

10. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

Maybe it's not to late to get a "no fly zone" after this

11. Osu Aegis,

I think it is MAP's culture... it came as a bit of a shock when I started to participate in the community because I thought TOS ruled, but as was said above, learning the real rules of MAP is not that hard...
    Being kicked in the groin by a mob is always a good incentive, especially when the police clobbers you from the sides. :)

Outside of pushing away a large number of people with diverse opinions and rich points of views, creating an under representation of entire swath of the Martial Arts World, mocking & ridiculing some people, and intimidating many, many more others - that we never hear about - in not participating to the conversation, I don't see what the problem could be............. :Angel:

But thanks for chiming in.

Osu!

PS: Sorry for the off topic.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

To be absolutely fair I don't think that's true and perhaps I might take a moment to explain why. You might still disagree and I respect that, but I hope you'll hear me out with an open mind.

MAP Mods walk a difficult line which is sometimes not made clear. We're free to express our own opinions, the same as anyone else, in some ways maybe we wouldn't be Mods unless we had strong opinions (hopefully based in experience :)). At the same time the nature of being a Mod is that sometimes we have to step in and act as such. Thankfully this happens quite rarely on MAP, but it does happen.

So a confusion can arise between a Mod posting with their Mod hat on, and a Mod posting as a MAP member with something to add.

Now, in the TKD forum it's pretty clear that much of the time I'm posting as a Taekwondoin, or in the karate forum as a (former :( ) karateka. But in forums like religion the distinction is less clear and can perhaps cause problems.

In those situations however, a MAP Mod is just another poster, unless they are invoking their Mod status for some reason. I can't put a strict definition on that as I'm sure you appreciate O_K, it's not as simple as that because it depends so much on context.

Other than that I don't know what to say; if you have beliefs that others disagree with they will be challenged by others, but then, you have the knowledge to defend them.

I'm worried by the perception that there is some MAP doctrine you must adhere to, and would absolutely deny the idea that MAPpers are not treated equally under ToS. There are many variables but I can absolutely assure you that any action against users is discussed long and hard and often nothing is done until all Mods come to a consensus, which can take days or weeks.

I hope that makes things clearer and answers some of your criticisms. I do think there is sometimes a cultural issue on MAP with regards to religion and other issues, but I honestly assure you there is no attempt to enforce some party line on any issues.

Mitch

13. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I don't remember any problems with mods in terms of previous LDS threads. But just to give you an idea of why you may not be getting responses, here's one that began as harmless ("Any LDS people on here?") and by post #8, some members were comparing the LDS church to the Ku Klux Klan, a racist terrorist organization:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20532

This thread required massive amounts of moderator clean-up after an innocent question ("any other Mormons on here") turned into dozens of pages of anti-Mormon rants. I don't remember exactly what was said, but it got UGLY:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96560

Here's a seven-page thread where the LDS church is accused of being a cult:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27709

Frankly, the LDS church gets a pretty harsh treatment on MAP, considering that nowadays it's so mainstream that the leading contender for the 2012 Republican nomination is a member and it hasn't caused much of a stir except for a few people on the fringe.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  14. Osu,

What have I started..............

Let's make it clear before the storm:
    1- I understand that Moderating is a difficult task, yada, yada, yadada... It is made more difficult when the rules are not enforced (or other rules than TOS are...)
    2- I said that it was a cultural issue - of course, expect that anyone within this culture would have a sort of a blind spot about its shortcomings.
    3- I was offering feedback, not starting a quarrel; IMHO feedback has value; do with it what you like... but don't start an argument with me, please. :), and ask yourself who else will ever offer you feedback if you dismiss it too easily...........

Osu!

PS: may I suggest to move this conversation to a new thread before I get shot for breach of TOS for off topic posting? :)

15. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

That ain't a mod hat, and it sure as hell ain't a TKD hat.

[​IMG]

16. Mitch

We can happily move it, and I think you're misconstruing my post if you think I'm starting an argument or dismissing your feedback O_K, I hope you know me better than that; but you're saying things that paint MAP in a pretty bad light and accuse the Mods of bias, which is not my personal experience so I hope you can also see why I choose to gently challenge. :)

Perhaps this is something you could detail in PM to Aegis and myself to avoid derailing this thread?

Mitch

17. Mitch

Yebbut it's a cool hat :D

Mitch

18. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Mods don't encourage it. Only on trolls like wushurichard and fiercehadou.

There was a nice mormon girl called tian tian who got flamed before but the Mods stopped it, didnt encourage it. So no Mods don't encourage bullying!

19. Brutal

Brutal Banned Banned

All thinking men are Atheists.

20. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The highly personal, highly offensive flaming Tian-Tian was subjected to simply for being a member of the LDS church, and asking if anyone else was, was truly disgraceful. She was one of the nicest people on this forum.

Edit:

Le sigh. Here we go again...