Question about flexibility.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Warriorspirit91, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Warriorspirit91

Warriorspirit91 Valued Member

Hey everyone,

Fairly new to martial arts, only been doing it for a year altogether (Kickboxing for 8 months and now Muay Thai) and was wondering what are the best way to increase flexibility from your experience? I can Roundhouse to head hight for me but I'm only 5 foot 7 so most people i spar are taller and my kicks end up hitting their shoulders.

Is it possible for everyone to do the splits or is it more to do with genetics?

The daily stretches that i currently do are all the ones in this video by Shane from Fighttips

https://youtu.be/xJwwioOcE4E

I'm sorry i know this question must be asked all the time and i have tried googling it but i would prefer to hear responses from actual fighters.

Many thanks!

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

3. Warriorspirit91

Many thanks!

I can raise my legs forward or to the side at waist height but when i try to go down in the box splits, my groin is about a foot off the ground! :(

4. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

Pavel Tsatsouline's Relax Into Stretch and Jon Engum's Flexible Steel are good resources for the splits.

5. Warriorspirit91

Thanks for that 23rdwave, i am going to try VandZandts program, looking in the comments it seems to work quite well.

Many thanks for the help!