Pyramid Workout Question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Paratus, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

I was curious as to what the benefits of doing a certain workout (for example pushups) in a pyramid style way as opposed to doing something in sets. Could anyone tell me what it is benefiting or working on more so?

Thanks for the help

2. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

Pyramids are a good thing to do everyonce in a while to get past a plateau. Doing these one workout could help you push past your plateau and get you to higher weights or reps for your next workout.

3. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

Ah, thanks Stutta
    Another question, is it working on strength, endurance, etc.?

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I'm starting to incorporate these pyramid pushups into my classes lately just for the sheer fun of it! :D Actually can apply the pyramid method to just about any exercise.

Basically you're gradually working towards goal, choosing a numerical goal and building up to it ... both endurance & strength I believe.

But I sometime do the upside down pyamid.... (??) or the light at the end of the tunnel set. :D
    I begin with 15 tricep push ups, 15 regular shoulder-width, and then 15 wide-outs. Then 12 of each and then 10. Total 111

When this gets too easy.....
    increase to 20/15/10, 25/20/15 etc...etc....

Rest time in between set 10 secs stretching arms out.

Concentrate on form .... going all the way down and all the way up.

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Stretching in between sets of strength building exercise actually weakens them! I always used to do it between sets of anything I did, then I read some research articles for my dissertation, stopped doing it and saw much better results!

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

.... interesting
    Even the Navy Seal workout has you stretching in between sets.

7. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Yeah, but you know those SEALs, they're push-overs...There aren't any SEAL MAPers, are there?? :Angel: :woo: :D Just kidding, HOO-AHH!!

To get to the actual question, pyramids work on strength endurance. Being able to be strong, and maintain that strength while tired.

McG and KickChick, I believe I read that it can be effective to stretch the antagonists while training. For example, between sets of push-ups, do some lat stretches. But as for stretching the muscle you're working, I've also heard that it can negatively affect strength levels. I think it has to do with altering the stretch reflex.

8. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

From what I've learned and read in places, you should only stretch after you lift. Stretching before you lift can make you weaker.