Pulled hamstring/glute - bugger

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by M Lambert, Jun 18, 2006.

1. M Lambert

M Lambert Fitness Consultant

I pulled my hamstring or my glute, dont know which... Physio couldnt work it out... lol. It was also knotted up to shiznitt.

So, now I cant run, or do sit ups, etc.

Currently Im substituting by using a Bike, Stepper and X-Trainer (Cross Country Ski Machine is the best I can describe it). These all work my legs, but not my hamstring which is probably the important thing....

Is there any other ways I can improve my endurance in my legs for running, without doing in my hamstring/glute even more?

2. TheAngle

TheAngle Valued Member

You can try a million toe presses.
    That is the only thing that is comming to my mind right now.

3. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Have you tried ice and heat? I'd also suggest searching out an ART practioneer in your area...they can be very nice in getting the knots out. And also, your physio who has seen you should be able to point out what you can and can't do depending on the severity of the pull.

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Adam,
    The link you posted is ineresting. Being a big fan of massage on a regular basis to help cope with strenuous training I'd be curious to find out more about 'trigger point therapy' (TPT).

Do you own any of the books recommended on that site?
    In the physio/health care profession is the whole TPT considered valid? Is basically TPT an essential component of treatments like myofascial release for stiff and knotted muscle tissues?

6. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I own Clair Davies' Trigger Point Therapy Workbook. It is truly genius. That is all I can say. Read some of the stuff poking around on there, and I can vouch that it truly does work.

7. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Does that make you 'trigger happy".. :D

Sounds interesting, will have to pick me up a copy.

8. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Cheers Adam..

Had this book for about a week now, really good stuff.. found a few of these points in my upper back, feels much better after follwing the recomendations in the book.

Any idea where to get a "TheraCane" in the UK?