Press Ups

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by WhiteWizard, Mar 27, 2003.

1. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

I have always been particularly weak when it comes to doing press ups i was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice.

thanks
    Andrew

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Hi WW, welcome to the forum! If you want some advice on press ups, you came to the right place. The peeps here gave me loads of good advice when I first came here. Take a look at this old thread on it http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183

I've always been weak at them. Best thing I found was practice like crazy, every day, and it gets a bit easier. But keep practising! I went back to training today after 2 months away and couldn't do 10 normal press ups! Before I took a break I was up to 60 knuckle press ups :(

Good luck

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi Andrew

A big tip for improving your press ups is not to do them to failure too often. Just like any exercise your body gets stronger during recovery. Resist the temptation to go all out every day.

Here's a good progression that sounds easier than it is and yields good results. (Taken from Scrapper's Workouts)...

Do this every other day for a while -see how it goes...

Pyramid from 1-12-1 with 10 seconds rest between sets. i.e. do 1, rest 10 secs, do 2 rest 10 secs, do 3 etc up to 12 - then back down to 1.

So - 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

= 144 Press Ups!

Every 4th session do 2 sets of 10 then 1 set to total failure.

If you cannot complete the pyramid e.g. you fail on the way up at say 7 reps - just go back down from there & try to get to 8 next time.

Let me know how you get on - us fitness instructors need feedback to improve our service to future clients - even if that service is free :D

4. Cain

Cain New Member

Is'nt that a bit less.....?

|Cain|

5. YODA

Less than what?

6. Cain

Cain New Member

I mean, one press up and resting for a whole ten seconds......even two press ups is too less I mean from my perspective it seems like too less press ups and too much rest....

|Cain|

7. YODA

Hey Cain - ever heard of the term "Warm Up"????

Try the routine - THEN judge it.

For a mega demon press up monster like you - you can go up to 15 on the pyramid :D

Oh - and do them all 2 seconds down, 2 seconds up.

8. Cain

Cain New Member

Easy there, was just asking for a reason, it seemed different to me, was jumping to conclusions too easily, sorry about that :(

|Cain|

9. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

You cain? I would never have believed it!!! :D

I love pyramid-ing!! He he it hurts!

We use them for kicks.

For the 2's,3' etc kicking the bag without putting the foot down and just re-chambering. That'll get your single kicks power way up!!

10. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Pyramid from 1-12-1 with 10 seconds rest between sets. i.e. do 1, rest 10 secs, do 2 rest 10 secs, do 3 etc up to 12 - then back down to 1.

So - 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

Thats how we usually do them, and it works well. Gets far better results than just counting till failure. And we usually jog on the spot while we're up for the 10 seconds to keep the heart rate up :eek:

At home I'll usually do 3 sets of 30 to 50, I try to avoid going to failure, but thats getting close ;)

11. Cain

Cain New Member

Seems good, I will try them :)

|Cain|

12. WhiteWizard

Thanks i'll try that. i'll let you know how i get on

13. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi, Andrew,

Fraser knows all about Pyramid pushups.

If you don't show on Thursday, he'll know why. :D

14. WhiteWizard

cheers andy
    don't worry i have stolen some of his super powers from snowboarding and will be performing super human feats all week :)
    so i should be fine for thursday

15. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

what are pressups?

16. Cain

Cain New Member

press ups, push ups same thing except some call them pressups when the hands are pointed inwards

|Cain|

17. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

18. Cain

Cain New Member

BTW, just tried the pyramid, man they are killers! I was lucky enuff to complete the pyramid :eek: , thanx for sharing with us Yoda

*thumbs up*

|Cain|

19. YODA

Hehe - glad you enjoyed it Cain.

Looks easier pn paper than it is to do huh?

20. Cain

Cain New Member

Ya, so did my MA class, thought I'd get thru it with no trouble, I never knew wat I was getting into until after a month when the training went a bit....err....intense :D

Things look easier when seen or heard, but are killers when you take their place :eek: [not exactly the same in life though :D ]

|Cain|