Planning on joining an MMA tournament in my country

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mugen Zero, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

thanks (thumbs up) hmm actually which one should be easier to learn with taekwondo experience?

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

neither. its a whole different skill set.

if you can - take up muay thai too. because muay thai is a lot of contact (as ero said) which you'll need to learn to deal with.

but mostly importantly - finish school well! thats top priority!

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Also worth pointing out ala the skillset thing that, at least judging by the tkd guys and gals I've trained with, they'll want to adjust parts of your style since tkd puts in some habits that don't flow well with muay thai/kickboxing. Having a TKD background will most likely still help you learn, but be ready for them to tell you to change things. I'll send you that plan in a minute as well

4. righty

righty Valued Member

How old are you Mugen Zero?

5. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

18 this year righty

6. righty

righty Valued Member

Which means you are currently 17.

Seriously I would not do this. Ero-sennin's account shows how you can get such injuries from this sort of thing. And as someone who really does not have a background in MMA it increases you chances.

If you really want to do this you need to get in contact with an MMA club and coach ASAP and tell them about the tournament and how you have already entered.

You need to train with real people and spar with them too using the competition ruleset. Not asking about techniques from 'pros' or on the internet.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If you have time for aikido and TKD, then you have time for MMA intead, but its an either/or type situation.

either
    a)prepare for an MMA match by training in MMA,
    OR
    b) Dont prepare in MMA and dont compete in MMA
    OR
    c) Dont prepare in MMA, compete in MMA and get badly hurt in the process.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

This logic is pretty sound.

Best of luck Mugen! :)

9. Southpaw535

This has reminded me of when some of the mma guys I know went to another show to compete and there was a "gym" there which was primarily a ninjutsu place but had been convinced by their instructor that he knew mma and they were ready to fight. Apparently they got beaten up so badly no one even felt like taking the mick out of them. Everyone came home just feeling really sad these poor guys had jumped into fights they clearly weren't ready for and all got hurt.

The point of this tale is Fusen's right. A year is enough time to be ready to fight but only if you're training mma with mma guys at a decent gym. Otherwise you run the very real risk of getting hurt. Now I've had a chance to watch some proper videos from Malaysian Invasion those guys are clearly ammy/semi-pro level but they all seem to be mma guys who clearly have the right idea what they're doing and are training to fight.

I don't know how many gyms there are in your area but something else I'd quite recommend throughout this year would be finding interclubs, ideally for mma but if not then kickboxing or grappling, and trying those. They'll give you a decent idea what your level is at.

10. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

got it, i'll check it sometime this week since it's Chinese New year and btw to those who celebrate it Happy Chinese New Year. oh forgot to mention i haven't signed up yet, only next on the day it starts then i can sign up, otherwise i;m joining this year if i signed up this year. oh yeah actually after looking through the website, it seems they will have like auditions in three categories, first striking techniques so basically like taekwondo or muay thai sparring first, then grappling techniques basically a sparring match in judo or other grappling sparring sessions, and finally an all-out sparring match.

11. Southpaw535

The auditions sounds like a really good system. I like that.

12. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

but as you know I'll have problems with the grappling test :3.

13. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

oh yeah sorry can't log my training yet cause i haven't started yet. dang chinese new year XD have to visit houses and eat XD. there goes my weight :)

14. Mangosteen

itll be like muay thai sparring which is completely different from taekwondo sparring.
    and grappling as well as combination is a massive part of MMA.
    get down to an MMA club once you have finished high school, train there for a few years then join a competition.

and you are 17, dont worry about you're weight, enjoy CNY. kung hei fat choi

15. Southpaw535

The bright side to mma grappling is you don't need to be amazing. If you do a bjj competition above white belt you need to at least be aware of a lot of weird stuff like de la riva guards, inverting, collar chokes and all sorts of fun stuff. For mma, because of the ability to strike, you only really need to know the basics. A couple of guard passes, a side control, mount and back escape you feel good with and defense to basic subs like the armbar, triangle, kimura and arm triangle. You'd need to drill them a lot to be very good at them, but they're simple things to learn and frankly I think you can learn them yourself. You'd need a decent grappler to practice them with but its not like you need a 3 time world champion blackbelt to teach them to you.

Its what I've learnt since I started rolling with the mma guys here: I technically know more than they do and potentially have more tools to catch them with, but they're so damn good at basic stuff that it won't happen. They know how to use and defend the basic subs, and they have a very, very strong base inside guard to make sure they don't get swept as well as strong top pressure from other positions.

From the bottom you could honestly get away with your game being nothing but controlling their posture to limit ground and pound, get back to guard, and then push their head away and stand up. Again, shed load of drilling to be able to do that against a decent grappler, but its not a complex thing to learn how to do. I could teach someone how to do that within a couple hours. They'd just have to put in a lot more hours practicing it to make sure they can do it under pressure.

So what I'm getting at is if you did the audition now you'd likely get tied into knots. But if you have a year before you have to do it then if you focus purely on the basics essentials to survive then you could definitely be ready within a year. You won't be filling your record with submissions, but you won't be losing to them either.

16. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

hahaha thanks technicall 18 this year :3. oh yeah the reason why i say like taekwondo is because strangely no elbows for amateurs :/

17. Mangosteen

there will be knees and clinching probably though!
    or atleast more contact than you would ever get in taekwondo

18. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

Noted zaad :) (thumbs up)

19. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

i just realise something just curious but let's just say a master aikido master joined mma and he know how to strike. If he were to somehow apply the traditional techniques into the mma match is that legal? just curious It's been pondering in my mind forawhile. Cause well since it includes joint manipulation likee Bjj i think?

20. Southpaw535

Small joint manipulation is generally a foul, you need to be controlling 3 or more fingers for it to be ok. Would quite advise learning the rules :p