Pilates for Boxing

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ero-Sennin, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

So my wife has a pilates DVD system that is just laying around (she decided p90X and insanity was what she wanted to do) and I'm thinking about taking it up. Granted I'm very familiar with correct technique and posture while knowing my own limitation and have touched into yoga and some pilates I think training off the DVD is not going to be a dangerous endeavor.

I'm looking for something to do as a core routine everyday, part of a morning "wake up" or couple hours before bed "cool down" sort of thing to do and Pilates seems to be something that could be part of this. I'm looking to really strengthen my core for Boxing and beyond the normal situps/crunches routines am looking for something a bit different.

With that said, does anyone have experience with doing pilates that could give me insight on to why this may be a good or bad idea out of personal experience?

The video is "Pilates for weight loss" by Elise Watts so it's geared towards women, which makes me happy because I'll get to watch a hot chick on the video while I'm suffering : P. If anyone has done her video series a review on it would be great!

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

pilates is actually pretty intense

3. Ero-Sennin

I don't doubt it. Pilates has always struck me as a more core workout type of Yoga to be honest, but I'm lacking in the details of it. Doing ANYTHING for weight loss is supposed to be intense though, and since it's "Pilates for weight loss" I'm sure I'll have to put the rubber mat down on the apartment floor so the place doesn't start smelling like I do when I come home from boxing : P.

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

One thing to be aware of with pilates is that to get maximum benefit from it, you need to make sure that you are doing the exercises correctly and this is not always easy to do without a qualified teachers watching you. On the other hand some of the people teaching classes in it wouldn't have a clue about correct positions and don't really monitor their students anyway, so training at home won't be any worse than that.

5. Ero-Sennin

Pilates for weight loss by Elise Watts . . . . not for me. Definitely going to have to look for something a little more geared towards intensity and regimented : P. Anyone have a good suggestion?