Pedometer Help.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bramley, May 22, 2009.

1. Bramley

Bramley Valued Member

Hey everyone,

So i'm wanting to get a Pedometer but have NO IDEA where to go or what to look for, or even if they're any good for that matter!

I'm looking for a simple, easy to use one but I don;t want one that's gonna break after a couple of days, on the other hand i can't afford spend silly money one one either.

So i'm asking if anyone has any advice on where to get one from? Are they any good? Would you reccomend using one? ANY advice would be appreciated!?! :cool:

Thanks

Angie

2. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Pedometer :O

What the hell is that a meter that detects / measures pedophiles ? :O

3. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

!!!!!!

LOL...they are all pretty much the same..they measure your hip movement. Since you are overseas I really can't recommend a site that wouldn't charge crazy shipping. Any of the basics ones that ONLY measure distance will do ya fine. Look to spend about $15-25 USD (sorry, don't know what that is in other currency. I know, I'm uncultured!)

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I'm pretty sure they are all much of a muchness, even cheap ones do the job reasonably well.

Why do you want one exactly? I always wondered why people were interested in the actual number, surely if you are or aren't moving around a lot in the day then you know that already?! :confused:

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

A bit of etymology would do you good. :p

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

In terms of pedometers... meh. Rather useless to be honest.

It's a good thing to be active while working... but unless you're doing heavy manual labor it seems there is no getting around doing an actual workout to stay in shape. It seems to me everyone I know that has used or uses a pedometer seems to think they don't have to exercise because figure they're doing lot so exercise by working.... pushing a med cart or walking across campus multiple times or going up and down a flight of stairs once or twice day. Hardly going to replace an exercise regime.

7. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

The fact that i had to look up the meaning of etymology says enough :p

8. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

+1 :)

9. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

Well. I've had a number of pedometers, given to me at work, handy down from my mother... And they've all been relatively cheap. And they've all crapped out really soon after use. Personally, I would quite like to have a good one. Not to use all the time, but as an occasional sanity check.

For instance, when I travel, I get so tired running through enormous airport terminals dragging luggage or kids, but it turns out I really do spend most of the day just sitting and walk almost none.

By the same token, I was flabbergasted by the number of steps I put on playing at the playground with the kids. Many more than going for a walk of the same time. Acutally, even staying with my parents who have a much larger house than I do made a big difference. :)

So for me, using it was helpful in knowing which activities got me up and moving and which didn't.

Obviously the simple act of taking a step doesn't do much for cardio vascular development and all that, but it is still exercise. And I found it helpful to create more awareness in myself of how the different daily activities stack up.