Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Aloysius, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Aloysius

Aloysius Valued Member

Anyone from the UK ever made one or eat these on a regular basis??

I have to admit, if it wasn't for american tv shows, I doubt that I'd know that Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches exist!

I can think of many examples but the Family Guy skit where the two guys crash and the cop finds them - that keeps sticking into my head -LOL!

It does look relatively healthy:

From wiki: The sandwich has the advantage that it does not contain any perishable ingredients, so it does not require refrigeration in hot weather, making it suitable for lunch bags.
    The Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich is a high energy food, peanut butter being high in calories and fat, and jelly in sugar. However, peanut butter does have a lot of health benefits, with its high level of protein and monounsaturated fat.

As an Englishman I don't know anyone that's ever had one, so I thought I'd ask on here.

Does it sound like a good pre class snack?

Does it even taste nice?

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I love the things :) not very good for you though

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Fantastic things. Gotta love the yanks!:cool:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlYCVpPo1WQ"]YouTube - Peanut Butter Jelly Time[/ame]

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I literally just ate one! Tasty stuff! Throw in some sliced banana for an extra kick!

5. SPIKE THE RAVEN

SPIKE THE RAVEN Valued Member

....yeah,a peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole wheat is pretty good ....

6. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Remember Peanut butter and Jam from my uni years, and as a childhood snack.

Far too high calorie for my energy needs now (though I wouldn't pass up Jam fritters with custard if the opportunity came). Just been reminded by my consultant that I've put on 20Kg in the last 4 years, and that I should try to lose 5 - 10 Kg of it. :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

If you do 'em on whole grain bread with a good peanut butter (read no sugar added) and with a nice jam then yeah pretty good stuff. Decent amount of energy without too much of a sugar dump.

White bread... not so great but not going to kill you. But not really bread... tasteless for the most part as well.

Actually... if your overall diet is good and you are getting your workouts in... PB & J's are hard to go wrong with.

If you're a fat slob and don't do anything but surf channels on the couch yeah PB& J's aren't good for ya... but you could cut out about a zillion things before a sammy like that is going to really make much of a difference.

8. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

It doesn't make a good high protein meal. The only reason I eat a PB&J is for deliciousness.

When I eat a meal, it's for one of two purposes:

To enjoy
    To get healthier

The PB&J falls into the prior category.

9. Omicron

Omicron is around.

WHAT?!?! The PB&J is an unknown for you Brits? I think I just died a little inside. I feel sorry for you guys.

10. Flinty

Flinty aspiring nak muay

just ate a peanut butter, banana, and honey sandwich on whole weat. mmmmmmmm

idc if its that great for ya. it cant be thaaat bad tho. maybe aside from a little bit of sugar. its probably a decent snack choice compared to a lot of other things though.

but yeah like yohan said its jus one of those thing you just eat for the taste (and yeah they taste amazing sometimes)

11. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Man, talk about a generation that is missing the good things in life. PBJ sandwiches were the way to go when you were going to elementary school where the cafeteria served food that was green (looked like mold, not environmentally friendly).. It served me well through my single days in the military and in between paydays when things got tight... PBJ sandwiches are a national icon and are getting their place in the smithsonian museum and will be placed right next to the Fonzie's leather jacket from Happy days tv show

12. Morra

Morra Valued Member

If not for us Americans being raised on PBJs, all you Brits with your little marmalade and darjeeling would be SPEAKING GERMAN RIGHT NOW!

God bless PBJs.

God bless the ol' US of A.

13. Moi

Just like before you're better late than never. Would the USA have had the balls to join the scrap if you hadn't been attacked though? We'll never know.

14. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

No point arguing with trolling American's on the subject of WW2!

I've always been intrigued and appalled in equal measure by the thought of a peanut butter and jam sandwich. Presumably any type of jam or peanut butter is fair game for this? Hmmm

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  15. Moi

Red jam. Strawberry is probably best. Lifts the peanut butter.

16. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Well, we sure gave ya Brits heck back in the 1700s! :evil: And that was before we had the awesome PB and J! :D

17. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

Then gave yourselves heck not long after lol

18. Moi

Actually it was France, Spain and the Dutch Republic that beat us. You Yanks were getting bitch slapped 'till then.

19. Aloysius

Aloysius Valued Member

Thanks for your replies guys !

I bought all the ingredients yesterday and made one while watching House.
    Tasted okay, I guess I was expecting a strong flavour of the two mixed together all yucky but it wasn't that bad. I think I might swap the jam for banana next time though.

20. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Raspberry jam and all-natural PB FTW!