Overhead pressing

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by iamraisen, Feb 9, 2006.

1. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i know most of us read t-nation as well as post on MAP, but i really think this article is worth bring to everyones attention. i always harp on about the overhead press and how i prefer it to the bench press. i also believe it is more functional in MA and, thus, its become the focus of my upper body workouts (i really wanna hit BW overhead press by the end of the year).

2. Nice article :)

Still prefer the bench tothe shoulder press - fun-wise, but functionally it's a different thing!

3. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i agree benching is fun(ish) and a good indictator of strength. i just feel the overhead press is really neglected (as overhead work is in general) as a key lift.

4. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Lean and Mean

Great article.

I saw the most size and strength gain in my delts once I started doing behind the neck barbell presses; while many people freak about doing anything behind the neck, it felt natural to me.

That was a few years ago, and since I've tweaked my shoulder in a bad takedown, it may be a different story.

Just startaed doing push-presses, though. That'll get you breathing heavy!

Cool idea with the attached chains, though!!

5. Yeah. I haven't done any form of barbell shoulder press for ages!!! Been using the dumbells, so I'm better than most:p Still fun every now and then to fill the bar up and give it a good push :)

6. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i heard behind the neck presses could be pretty bad for your rotary cuffs.

i prefer to clean it to the chest and go from there.

7. Unisonus

Unisonus Bloody Rare, Please

Why not do both?

8. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

sorry you will have to expand. front and back presses? bench and overhead? im not sure what you mean :confused:

9. Unisonus

Some of you were saying that you prefer the bench press to the overhead press. I enjoy the overhead press more, but I think that there is a place for both in a good routine.

10. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

of course there is :) its just that the bench tend to get the emphasis rather than the overhead. i believe it should be the other way round thats all.

11. We both bench AND press!

(at least I think he does) :)

12. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i havnt for a while. once my mebership at the gym ran out (end of july) and i had to start training at home when i got my barbell (december 15th) i havent been able to (no bench till the funs allow it!)

13. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Overhead press = :cool: :cool: :cool:

Overhead press > Bench press

Overhead press = my favourite lift

14. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I don't think I've ever had a routine without some form of overhead press, it was my weakest exercise when I started, and I hate having weak points like that.

15. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

for those of you who dont know what the " > " symbol means, it equals IS GREATER THAN!!!!!!!

:D

i do love overhead work :)

16. Falcore

Falcore almost acceptable

I'll concure on the overhead press love. Started out doing military press, then when I got into oly lifts got to like the push press, been doing them since.

17. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

This bit intrigued me. Coming from a yoga background, I've always had it drummed into me that you should look for symmetry when you work (whether it's stretching or whatever). Now I appreciate that weightlifting isn't yoga, but the principle seems a sound one for any kind of body development.

Also, if I had to put one foot forward for a set, I'd instinctively want to put the other one forward next time. The article, however, implies that you should always put the dominant foot forward.

Thoughts anyone?

18. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Good article mate. Shoulder pressing has taken over benching as my favourite exercise for a long time now, and just as the article states my bench went up without me even trying.

19. Unisonus

What's the functional difference between pressing behind the neck and over the chest? Is one better than the other?

20. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Pressing to the front is a lot less likely to injure your shoulders. It is a lot stronger movement which as always makes it a better one, the more weight, the better the results.

From a functional standpoint- rarely do you ever replicate the behind neck press in normal day to day activities.