Overall and applicable strength training.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Shortfuse, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

Does anyone have a good strength training routine? I mean to help you become stronger overall, i dont mean becoming better at an exersise like increasing your bench or a curl to show that you are getting stronger but strength that i can apply in real life, like improving your core muscles which i have no idea how to do or train and i dont know how to make my abs stronger anymore or make them harder. I want routines that are good for strength i dont care whether they build mass or not as long as i get stronger.

I dont understand which reps to chose anymore.. for example when i started the bench press i did 3 sets of 10, then i did 12,10,8. Now i do 8,6,4 and add 5 lbs on the second set. But im not sure what to do anymore. im taking a break for this week and next to rest, heal, and try and adjust to high school and figure out how to train

My summer routine isnt working as well anymore and i have to redesign my routine after i visit and talk to my doctor and more teachers. Maybe bodyweight is the way to go..i would also like to achieve my original 5 fitness goals.. ive had them since 2002 but i figured they werent as important. ( one arm push up, handstand push up,straddle hold, and leg extension hold)

please dont reccomend the trainforstrength.com scrapper things because not only am i not sure how they work, if they are a good routine and what they are for but they dont feel good and some of them hurt in a bad way, plus i dont know how to do them.

I would like a routine that builds strength in every part ( hands,forearms, biceps, triceps, shoulders, neck,chest, abs back, hamstrings,quads, butt and calves and help them learn to function with strength as a whole unti as once, to apply it to real life)

i am aware of the bench press, dip, pull up, chin up, squat, exersises but i just learned how to do a squat but before i do somethings i never have done before i would rather see a doctor about it first, just to be safe. I might join the wrestling team but i need to get a physical and i do join they take us to the gym 3 times a week :D.

Im strong enough in parts but i cant use it very well and im not strong enough as a fighter or just to be able to apply it to real life.. for instance during an exersise i can do alot but in an ordinary day picking up somethings shouldnt be that hard! for instance i can bench 120 or much more and weigh 116. but i cant do a handstand push up.

I am allready putting the in the medicine ball and heavy bag in but i need some more for strength and core strength,

Thanks for your help and im sorry the post is so long. have a nice day

2. Sanitarium

Sanitarium New Member

To increase your functional strength stick to compound exercises like Squats, Dips, Deadlifts and work in the 4-8 rep range. For strength you want heavy weight and low reps, basically high intensity workouts. If you're doing like 10 or 12 reps then you aren't going to increase much strengh, more like endurance. And have a diet rich in protein and make sure you recover properly after exercising.

That's my 2p and other people will post in more detail :Angel:

3. Master Lee

Master Lee New Member

Get a modern book for increasing functional strength. I hear that Matt Fury has a good one. I have not read it though.

4. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

NO HE DOESN'T. You don't seem to like scrapper, which is a pity. You want to do basic, compound exercises. Have you got a barbell?

5. Forest Bill

Forest Bill New Member

How about this 5x5 routine I posted before:
    Mon - Pull
    A) 6x3 Deadlift or Power clean
    B) Barbell rows or dumbell rows
    C) Close grip chins or Barbell curls
    D) 2x10 Cuban press

Wed - Push
    A) Bench press or Dumbell bench press
    B) Military press or Dumbell shoulder press
    C) Tricep dips or Close grip bench press
    D) 2x8 Turkish get up

Fri - Legs
    A) Squat
    B) Goodmornings or Stiff legged deadlift
    C) Ab pulldown or Weighted hanging leg raise
    D) 2x10 Overhead squat

Use a 5x5 or 4x6 set/rep scheme with each exercise. Use this routine for 12 weeks and then change the routine, exercises or set/reps. Do not take any sets to failure and eat more than you ever have before.

6. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

i have a barbell set and a bench thats not set up yet so i go to my cousins house who has all you ever need to build strength ) barbell set, dumbell set, bench, pull up bar, dip station, the high chair thing.

can someone tell me about scrapper?

7. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Look up a book called 'Dinosaur Training'- probably about the best book you can buy on functional strength.

Remember to use the link on this site if you do buy it! ;) :D

8. Qas

Qas New Member

i agree, functional compound exercises are the best for developing overall strength:

Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Pull Ups, Overhead Press

You might also want to condsider adding a powerlifting movement called the clean. Its basically lifting a weight from the floor to shoulder height in one movement, although its a bit more complicated than that and its best if you learn the correct technique to avoid injury. In my opinion its one of the best exercises for developing usable strength

9. jonwade

jonwade Valued Member

I was looking at weight lifting exercises for strength, and was wondering, is there any advantage over doing a clean and press together, rather than a clean in one exercise, then seated military presses in another?

Maybe a routine should be varied to incorporate both.

Cheers,

Jon.

10. koto_ryu

koto_ryu Common sense is uncommon

I agree.

11. Da Xiong

Da Xiong Massochistic SOB

Anything By Pavel Tsatsouline is friggin awesome. I Really like "The NAked Warrior". And that's all bodyweight training for maximum strength. Don't need to buy anything. But also, his book, "Power to the people" is great, and the only thing you need for those exercises is a barbell.

12. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Kotu ryu your a strongman competitor; if i remember correctly so whats your routine like?
    Is it out of dinosaur training?

13. koto_ryu

koto_ryu Common sense is uncommon

Some elements of it. It varies from time to time (such as when I get closer to competition, I primarily just concentrate on the events being in the competition), but overall I still focus a lot on the basics. Squats, deadlifts, bent-over rows, overhead pressing, dips, pull-ups, etc. Little to no isolation exercises. I'll also toss in stuff like farmer's walking, stone lifting, car pushing, sled dragging, front carries and the like as well.

Many of Brooks' ideas are identical to my methods to be perfectly honest. I just tend to train in a more specialized manner for my sport.