Olympic Weightlifting - Is there a 'Starting Strength' equivalent?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Princess Haru, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

a lot of crossfit gyms in the UK have done british weightlifting coaching courses

but without a coach you're better off doing high pulls if its just for athletic endeavours

actually i dont think anyone except o-lifters really need the full lifts

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

^ without bumper plates I'd hazard a guess that I would actually do myself more harm.... the equivalent KB high pulls are definitely a worse exercise than the snatch

anyway.... I've been watching Clint Darden's channel on youtube lately and he does a lot of Oly lifting (if dubiously) and now this week Elliott Hulse is doing some. seems to be something in the water with powerlifters doing olympic style

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

You could hang high pull. No need for bumper plates and you get the triple extension and force transfer of the full lifts

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

thiose two guys are powerlifters? thought Darden was a strongman and Hulse an on line trainer??

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

They're both (or used to be) strongmen, clients bench never caught up with his squat and dead which is why he didn't PL I think.

6. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Okay you could be right, I guess I mean that they preach strength over aesthetic weightlifting ie Squat, Bench and Deadlift

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

yep thats what i thought they both were
    strongman guys doing high pulls and cleans i get, its part of their sport, not many if any high level power lifters will do them, or i should say CAN do them, too many years of benching ...you should see some of the older powerlifters i know try them lol they simply cant do the move anymore,

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

yep wasnt having a go just genuinely curious if any of them had done a lot of high level powerlifting, years of bench pressing makes overhead stuff hard if not impossible
    for an all round athletic build combining OL and powerlifts is a good idea thats for sure