Olympic Patterns?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Liamtkd, May 10, 2005.

?

Do you think that patterns should be performed in the Olympics?

1. Yes

52.5%
  2. No

47.5%
  1. Liamtkd

Liamtkd New Member

Following on from a previous post made by stumblinthrulif here
    i thought i'd stick this poll on to run as a tangent to the current one. I'd love to see patterns performed in the olympics as, for me, patterns are what it all about!

2. stumblinthrulif

stumblinthrulif New Member

heheheh, thanks Liamtkd. Predictably, I say yes!

Olympic patterns would bring more of TKD into the public eye, and hopefully go some way to giving the general public more of an understanding of what martial arts is about. Seasoned martial artists as TV presenters for this event could really boost the understanding of martial arts in the non-ma community.

3. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

Its a good idea. But would the general, non MA public understand it? They have little understanding of sparring - look at the bashing we get for that!

Also, to include patterns, should they be individual, team (various numbers), musical, weapons?

And should breaking/destruction including special techniques be included as well?

I think it would be too much to organise. Unless it was done on a pentathlon basis, where you score points for your team, rather than individual medals.

So its a no for me. Although a very reluctant no. I'm about 55/45 against it.

4. Kwondo

Kwondo 3rd Dan WTF Taekwondo

I don't see whynot, I mean there skating and the floor gymnastics that are judged by appearance. But the technical skill would be the same for each pattern. I would love to see it, but I don't think that others would understand it, and it wouldn't be too popular.

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Since TKD is already on thin ice as an olympic sport, I don't think we need it to turn into a "sport" like synchronized swimming or trampolining. Not intending to offend anyone who likes those sports by the way. The chinese are lobbying to have wushu replace TKD in 2008.

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

yes, but it seems that the place of TKD in the next Olympics is not jeopardised at all.

7. Liamtkd

Liamtkd New Member

An answer to your first question is below ;)
    I think that having it on a table basis, eg.
    Sparring,
    Traditional Patterns,
    Custom (musical/weapon),
    Destruction.

maybe an average or total of all scores?

Kwondo, i was sceptical at first, but then the same thing occured to me! TBH, patterns look great when done well wether yoru know what the are for or not! so i've been told by non-MAers.

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i think breaking could work, and those tasteless musical forms with ridiculous spinning around (hey, if no one wants to watch it, it stops being shown)

I really dont think traditional forms would work though.

9. Liamtkd

Liamtkd New Member

The point made below about Ice Skating or Gymnastics.... Don't you think that it applies to Patterns, at least for people who are not trained in MAs?

10. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yes thats why I said that maybe forms people make will work. traditional katas, i really doubt will bring in the punters. ice skating and gymnastics would not be very exciting if theyall had to do the same basic things.

11. Liamtkd

Liamtkd New Member

Yeah, sure, but its not like we will be low level patterns, i can't speak for teh WTF BB patterns, but i'm assuming they're more interesting to watch than the taeguk/palgwae. I know the ITF BB (especially the 3rd, 4th & 5th Dan) forms flow beautifully and a really a pleasure to watch!

12. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I'd love to see patterns in the Olympics!! So I say yes, yes yes!!! :)

13. JohnLewis

JohnLewis Valued Member

Sorry to say this, but my vote is No.

I enjoy very much seeing my Master doing a pattern, but he doesn't perform the pattern only to enjoy us or him and there isn't nothing to win when he finish the pattern. In the Olympics they perform the pattern only to win a medal. In general I don't like nothing related to Taekwondo and Olympics.

Regards,

John Lewis.

14. carlos

I think I am being swayed by the idea of a kind of taekwon-do pentathlon event. Something that shows the art side.

However, there are too many people as it is that slate TKD based on what they see at the olympics.

Would this have to apply to Judo as well? I must admit, I know next to nothing about Judo, or the extras over the grappling.

15. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

which is why olympic judo is such a joke and why bjj will never be an olympic sport- the average joe has NO IDEA whats going on when two fighters are on the ground. so its boring, and people dont buy seats. I think the same would apply to kata.

16. carlos

True - we are hugely biased here. We like patterns and would like to see them.

But my non MA mates wouldn't sit watching people dancing round in pyjamas (my mates description).

17. Liamtkd

Liamtkd New Member

LMAO.... thats pretty funny.

i see where Ikken is going with this. i know that non MAists do like the look of forms when many people are doing it togther, all on perfect timing... maybe they might find it boring if we have 10 people doing the same pattern after each other... but i dont think that would be the case, in comps in the UK generally people do rotate and compete against each other with different patterns.

18. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

I'd have to say no. It just doesn't seem right to me. No particular reason.

19. carlos

But that's at a TKD tournament. People who watch are interested in MA's.

When I watch anything on the Olympics, its because its the Olympics. I have little or no interest in the modern pentathlon, so if I watch it, its because I'm bored or feeling a little patriotic.

20. Liamtkd

Liamtkd New Member

Exactly!