Change the name of sport Taekwondo

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by JohnLewis, May 10, 2005.

?

Would you agree to change the name of sport Taekwondo?

1. Yes

61.7%
  2. No

38.3%
  1. JohnLewis

JohnLewis Valued Member

Due to the confusion between sport and martial art using the term TAEKWONDO, I open this thread to know how many people would agree to change the name of sport Taekwondo to another one. Later we can send this poll to the WTF.

I thought something like Taekwon-MuSool (Mu = martial, Sool = techniques).

What do you think?

Regards,

John Lewis

2. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

Good idea - but the name is a bit long - TaeKwonSool?

What's the Korean for sport?

3. Sang

Sang Valued Member

The Koreans call sports TKD 'Olympic Taekwondo'. The word for sports in Korean is the same as it is in English. Most Koreans refer to sports as 'exercise' which is 'Oon-dong' in Korean but they'll never call sports TKD 'Oon-dong TKD'. That just doesn't sound right. I agree with you, Taekwon Musool is a bit long, especially for non-Koreans.

4. Liamtkd

Liamtkd New Member

Now then, this is prolly miles wrong, so wait until thomas or someone has corrected me.... but, i had a go at translating and i got 'Seu Pa Cheu'

5. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

I agree 100%. I am sick and tired of having my ART slagged on due to what people have seen in the Olympics. Keep in mind though that not all WTF schools train for the Olympics, but train for self defence solely. Dont ITF schools train and compete in tournaments? Is this not sport?
    And before anyone asks, no we dont compete in tournaments. We train for self defence only.

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  6. Sang

Sang Valued Member

You were very close! The word is 'sports' but Koreans pronounce it as 'Seu Po Cheu'.

7. Liamtkd

Liamtkd New Member

aah, i got my -| and | mixed up!
    _________________---

so, we're looking at
    - TaeKwon-MuSool (Foot & Fist Martial Techniques)
    - TaeKwon-Sool (Foot & Fist Techniques)
    OR
    - TaeKwon-SeuPoCheu / Jeu (Foot & Fist Sport)

heheh, seupocheu does sound quite cool, but again its a mouthfull...
    maybe we could go for
    TK-MuSul or TK-Sul, to make it a little easier to read?

8. Sang

Sang Valued Member

Hmm, which one would you pick? Shall we have a vote?

9. Liamtkd

Liamtkd New Member

Maybe when this one finishes.... a week from today? any ideas guys?

10. Sang

Sang Valued Member

I'm not happy with Taekwon-sool because 'Sool' also means alcohol in Korean!!! It wouldn't sound right. I think Taekwon-Musool would be the most appropriate name for martial art TKD.

11. Liamtkd

Liamtkd New Member

aah, thanks for that insight... i would have never got that at all! duly noted :D

12. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

I dunno... A good number of TKD practitioners enjoy a good drink every once in a while! :D

13. Liamtkd

Liamtkd New Member

To quote a friend and fellow 1st Dan "i don't know if we're Martial Artists with a Drinking problem, or Drunks with a Martial Arts problem"

maybe TKS would be appropriate ;)

but, on the other foot, TaeKwon-MuSool sounds like 'TK muscle', which i won't argue with ;)

14. JohnLewis

JohnLewis Valued Member

You mean for sport TKD, no? Because TaekwonDO is the name for martial art.

15. Liamtkd

Liamtkd New Member

John,

I believe they do :)

16. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I have to vote "no" to the change.

Personally I don't really care too much what other people are doing in their TKD schools... if they want to focus on the sparring and conform to the basic testing rules as established by the Kukkiwon, that's their business. If they just want to spar, call them "kickboxers".

Instead of changing the name, I would prefer to see the Kukkiwon change its testing requirements and enforcing more self defence in the curriculum and testing it more rigidly. I would prefer to see preople pressure the WTF anmd Kukkiwon to become more stringent on testing instead of separating off people who earned TKD rank according to the established standards.

As for "moo sool", the context of the word in Korean is "martial arts" and is used in several other arts like Kyeong-ho Moo Sool (Korea Guard's Martial Arts) and in some Hapkido system names (Teuk-gong Moo Sool comes to mind). It really doesn't have a sport-context name at all and it would be inapproriate to use it for that.

If you keep the art ("do") in TKD, then it's Taekwondo. If you remove the art and focus solely on competition, call it kickboxing. But, as long as people earn rank according to the umbrella federations, you can't change anything except by pressuring the umbrella federations to be stricter on testing and curriculum.

17. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Just what we need, more division within the sport.

18. JohnLewis

JohnLewis Valued Member

I think it's easier to change the name than that Kukkiwon or the WTF change its testing requirements, add self defense ...

I'm not agree. The korean word of "martial arts" is Moo Yae, and "martial techniques" is Moo Sool.

This is what I'm trying to do, call it something different than TaekwonDO. Kickboxing is not appropiate because it's not the same as sport Taekwondo.

Regards,

John Lewis.

19. Liamtkd

Liamtkd New Member

<EDIT> IMO </EDIT>
    Kickboxing is like TKD in lyrcra, without the 'Do'. i mean to say, it is martial, but no art

20. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Damn, Thats blunt :D