Okay guys...I have a serious problem with cardio

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Wildlings, Jul 29, 2013.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Now that this is bumped...if you can find a heavy bag in your gym or something, use it. :D Break your time up into rounds of whatever duration you're comfy with, and hit it with full intensity and good form with a short breather between rounds. Done properly, this is excellent cardio. :) And I second rope-skipping. I'd do it more often if it weren't so daggum hot. :(

2. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

I have a problem with skipping. It gave me shin splints, and they keep coming back every time I try no matter what - which doesn't happen with running.
    The heavy bag is a blast :evil: we have them at the gym but now it's closed for summer, so nothing.
    Circuit training works too! - someone said hindu squats? :D

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

^ do you skip on a matted or sprung floor? flat boots or running shoes? I only got pains on a hard floor at the old gym, and that was doing double unders and I do a lot more of them now without the same problems on a rubber matted floor

4. matveimediaarts

Very odd that you have that problem with skipping. Maybe your doc or a chiropractor or something could suggest shoes that will help you with that. :eek: Sorry I don't have more to say...I've never had that problem.

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Couch to 5K is good. I recommend this to a lot of people who want to start running regularly again.

6. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

My doc said Don't skip - he's ever so useful :bang: :D

7. matveimediaarts

:eek: How cruel of him! :(

8. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

The only thing that breaks when I skip is my rope :(

9. matveimediaarts

May I ask what you mean by "double unders"? Thanks. :)

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

You hop once, the rope passes under you twice.

11. matveimediaarts

Just as I suspected, thanks. :) I've been working on learning that for some months now. I'm so close, but so far...:bang:

12. pkbeast654

pkbeast654 New Member

Swimming is a fantastic source of cardio when you're down and out. Especially if you've had injuries in the past. IMHO its the best source of cardio if you have a history of injuries as it is non impact. In addition its a full body workout which trains flexibility if you do more than one type of stroke(front crawl, back crawl, butterfly, breaststroke) I also find that swimming forces you to breath effectively.

13. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Hey nice thread here. I have a little experience in the cardio arena so Im gonna share a story and give some advice based on my personal experience so keep in mind Im not a pro. I used to run 5 to 10 K a day for almost three years, I stopped and started lifting serious weights about a year later and about a year after I started lifting and didnt do a single healthy thing for almost ten years.

I recently returned to fitness, and found that all the smokeing and sitting around had ruined my cardio beyond belief so heres what I did to make improvements.

I didnt force myself to run until I was six months off the smokes and had been working out. I made a workout that included alot of ma and shadow boxing ontop of body weight exorcizes, I didnt and dont take long rests between my exorcizes I go from one exorcize to the next with no rest, look at my journal journey of chaos and give it try.

My blood pressure is back to normal and I recently ran pretty hard for twenty straight minutes, not to bad for 36 and just six months ago I was smokeing a pack a day. So my advice is add the cardio into your workout and it dosent have to be running.