Nutrition

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Saz, Apr 14, 2002.

1. rossboxing

rossboxing New Member

I respect your opinion. My comments however are not directed towards body builders. Rather my comments are directed towards athletes that will compete in boxing (or any other form of fighting). I myself am a fighter and Certified Fitness Trainer with the International Sports Science Association (http://www.issaonline.com). I can tell you without a doubt that a fighter that performs on Ketogenic Diet will not be able to maintain the rigors of a competitive boxing training routine. As fighters we have much different training objectives than body builders. To compare the two is like comparing apples to oranges. Any personal trainer that promotes Ketogenic diets for a competitve fighter is not doing his job. The bottom line is that fat and protein are not effecient energy sources for boxers or other martial artists.

Lastly, it is important to eat the "right" carbohydrates (low on the glycemic index). Unfortunately, many do not eat proper complex carbs, rather consumer simple sugars etc... If you eat the right carbohydrates, you can expect higher energy levels while traing.

Good luck...
    Ross

2. epimetheus

epimetheus New Member

My arguments are not opinions. In fact, if you read my link you will see that two profesional medical doctors lend support to my discussion. Many more do as well. As do many Personal trainers, strength trainers, etc. There are as many different "views" as there are people. I stick to science and my argument. The way the human body is designed, eating a high carb diet is bad for you. Biology, physiology and many studies have proven so.
    I am not arguing whether or not professional atheletes NEED them or not to compete. Perhaps they do. It is still bad for you. To be a professional bodybuilder you NEED steroids. It doesn't lend a bit of credibility as to if they are GOOD for your body or not.

You suffer from an excluded middle fallacy. There are more things in diet than either a ketogenic diet, or 70% Carbs. Saying "a ketogenic diet is bad for you, therefore I must have a 70% carbohydrate diet" is the fallacy. I don't advocate a ketogenic diet. Nor am I arguing for it, or against it for that matter.

My whole point is that Carbohydrates are bad for you and fat is the most efficient fuel for the body. It is the bodies prefference. (it is why it stores fat and does not store much sugar at all)
    Training 6-8 hours a day may cause it to be necessary or at least easier to eat a higher carbohydrate diet, that does not mean it is good for the body. It just means that the athlete training that much needs quick sources of energy. At the expense of his health.

If your method works for the results you seek, thats great. My argument isn't that it works, I am not a trainer. My argument is about health and wellness. That can be measured. And has.

3. rossboxing

rossboxing New Member

One thing we can agree on...

One thing we can agree on is that we are both persistent. Good luck to you.

Lastly, fats are not the best energy source for anaerobic conditioning. It is proven just as 2+2=4. I did not design the human body but I do know how it works.

Good luck to you in your training.

4. epimetheus

epimetheus New Member

:)

Good luck to you as well.

I know a couple mathmaticians that could prove to you that 2+2 does not equal 4 if you want. ;)

5. rossboxing

rossboxing New Member

Math...

HA!!! At this point, I believe you!

Good luck my friend.

Regardless of carbs, protein, fats, or math, one thing that remains constant is that you must train hard.

Train hard and good things will happen.

Regards,
    Ross