now confused about my workout

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Fergie Boy, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

I do 2 sets of 10 reps then one of as many as I can, when that reaches 12 without being too hard, I increase the weight by 5 to 10 percent, so I figure I stay within 70 - 80% of my one rep max.

Seated cable row (Back)
    Seated Leg extension (Quads)
    Lying leg curl (hamstring)
    Standing calf raise
    Shrug (Shoulders)
    Rear pulldown (Lats)
    seated/kneeling crunch (Abs)
    Bench press
    Lateral raise (deltoids)
    Kickback (triceps)
    barbell curl (Biceps)

I usually wait 20 -30 seconds between sets. Now having read through what has been said here and written in other places, everything seems to contradict everything else (sometimes in the same article), I don't know if my workout is any good anymore. should I be doing a warm up set of 12-15 with 45% of O.R.M and then 2 sets of 6-8 reps with 90% of my O.R.M, or 2 sets of 4 reps with 95% of my ORM?.

And how long should you rest between your sets?

Someone please give me back my focus and confidence in my workout.

Also how do you maintain your size and strength once you get to be where you want to be? Is it a simple as just staying at the same weights and reps?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi

What are your goals?

Strength?

Endurance?

Cosmetic? (((shudder)))

3. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

Mostly strength, a little cosmetic.

4. Jazman

Jazman New Member

first of all, screw the O.R.M. all it's good for is bragging and showing off. Different people of different genetic have different kinds of muscles. For example, I find it extremely effective to do 6-8 reps in a set, whereas 12 doesn't do me as much good. As long as you can't complete the set it was good, also as long as you are improving. For upper body exsersizes, such as bench, military and curling, I suggest doing between 6-10 reps per set. For lower body make sure you are doing high numbers of reps in a set, in some instances like 30. large amounts of weights on legs can strain knees, unless done properly of course(I suggest squats in as low of sets of 10 though, and other multimuscle lifts)

You can rest as long as you want in between sets, unless there is some other reason to rest less or more any amount is really good. The real question is, how long do you want to be working out for. I sometimes rest up to 3 minutes when I have nothing better to do(All the time)

Don't understand why you would want to stay the same strength and not increase though, no suggestions there.
    ----------------------
    2 sense

5. Jack

Jack Valued Member

For strength training you want a good 4-5 sets for each exercise, in the 3-6 rep range. Don't take sets to failure but use a very heavy weight that you really have to fight. Rest about 2-3 minutes between sets.

6. YODA

Fergie Boy

Look at the programme and advice I gave to Sean O a while back here - a few people here have been having good results using it.

7. Sean O

Sean O New Member

Yoda's advice did help me. The routine he gave me is working well for me (I actually tweaked it a little, I do shrugs and pushups too plus 1 extra set per exercise, it didn't screw anything up though, I'm gaining faster), plus it improved my knowledge of designing a routine (I've made a few for friends of mine, and they like it and are gaining from it), so I guess I can give you advice.

You say your goals are for more strength and a little bit for looks? Well, in order to see how many sets vs reps you need, you need to tell us to what degree you're talkin about.

If you wanna make schwarzenegger look small, then do 6-8 sets per muscle with 4-6 reps per set, with heavy weight. Wait 2-3 minutes between sets.

If you're not THAT serious, and just want more strength and to get buff, then do 4-5 sets with 8-10 reps, and slightly less weight. Wait 1-2 minutes between sets.

If you want to just tone your muscles, with moderate strength increase and great muscular endurance, then do 2-3 sets with 10-12 reps, with moderate weight. You can wait 30 seconds - 1 minute with this.

As far as getting to the size you want to have, you may not even do that. Like Jazman said, everyone has different kinds of muscles. If you want to be a giant, but your DNA cocktail won't allow you to, then you wont. Most people's muscles will build up until their bodies look well toned and proportionate with the rest of them, and they'll stay that way if they keep up the exercise.

As far as focus and confidence in your workout goes, you may just be bored with the exercises you're doing. Try switching the rows, for example, to chin ups, or leg curls to deadlifts (Also on a side note, although shrugs do work your shoulders, its mainly an upper back exercise). Maybe listen to music while you work out, whatever you like. Just make sure you feel the burn, but not any pain.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2003
  8. ROBERT

ROBERT New Member

There is no such thing as "toning" your muscles.

If you are training primarily for strength, then stick to compound lifts using "HEAVY" weight. Keep your reps low. Rest is very important, both between sets and workouts.

For cosmetics, your diet will more directly affect the results you see than the specific workout routine.

Good luck!
    Robert

9. YODA

Good advice Robert :D

I hate the "t" word!

(((Shudder)))

Now - pass me those 1kg pink dumbells LOL!

10. Sean O

Sean O New Member

Alright, sorry. I should have said shape your muscles or something, but I think my message got across anyway.

11. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Shaping? SHAPING?

I will let YODA sort you out. :D

12. Cain

Cain New Member

Ok, I have seen this mentioned many times before, what exactly are compound weights?

|Cain|

13. YODA

Grrrrrr............

The only way to shape your muscles is with a scalpel - DON'T tempt me

:woo:

14. YODA

Compound exercises are those that move two or more joints & thus use two or more muscles. This is the way your body is designed to work and yields the best strength gains. Muscles do not work in isolation.

Examples of compound movements...

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Shoulder press
    Chest press
    Power cleans
    Chins & Pullups
    Dips

15. Cain

Cain New Member

Gotcha! thanx :D

Now I see why do you not recommend concentration curls

|Cain|

16. YODA

Bingo! :D

17. Cain

Cain New Member

A bit off topic, but am I qualified for rocket science :D

|Cain|

18. Sean O

Sean O New Member

Once again, I think that as long as my point got across, terms like shaping don't make a difference. People get the jist of what that means since many fitness magazines/websites/etc. use it.

19. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Take a chill pill and accept you were wrong - learn from it, this is what this forum is for!

20. Sean O

Sean O New Member

I'm cool, man, and I never said anyone was right or wrong. All I wanted to say was that if the right message gets across, then the term shouldn't matter.