Never Gymless - Ross Enamait

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by MikeMartial, Jul 20, 2006.

1. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Lean and Mean

His website videos are incredible, his methods seem sound, and I've only ever heard great things about this book.

Has anyone here gone ahead and bought a copy? If so, what is your opinion?

2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

It's a great book, especially if you're not that familiar with bodyweight exercises. The routines in it are great, if a bit tough on beginners.

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I have a copy and cannot recommend it enough. In all seriousness, if there was one book I could recommend to an MAist looking for a good all-round fitness system then this would hands-down be it. Ross is also a great guy and will always respond to emails with helpful information. As mentioned, the routines are tough but that is fitness! :) Some excellent stuff for the home gym user too like making dumbells and other tools on the cheap.

4. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Lean and Mean

Purchased :D thanks guys.

5. cxw

cxw Valued Member

It's amazing how many people don't get the above statement. Working really hard is more important than the methods used.

6. Ad McG

Tell Ross that Adam says hi :) :cool:

7. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

Never Gymless is a great book. As one who travels quite a bit, I can't always take the gym with me. Great book. Great workouts.

As a supplement to this book I highly reccomend Ross Enamait's Medicine Ball Training. The two books really go hand in hand. The two books are now always packed going where ever I go.

8. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

His site the only way to get it?

(Don't want to pay the $25 if I can get it cheaper ar Amazon or something)

9. Ad McG

Yeah, he only sells it through his website which I personally think is a bit of a shame.

10. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Sure is a shame, but if since you recommend it so highly I will order it and see how it goes.

11. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Does it include such things as door pull-ups (I have found these invaluable)? And anything else along those lines?

12. CX Imran

CX Imran Valued Member

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly are door pull ups?

13. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

1) Open door.
    2) Jam towel under door. (So you don't break the door off its hinges; support is provided)
    3) Grab top of door and dangle
    4) Pull yourself up
    5) Repeat steps 3 and 4.

That's the gist of it.

14. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Depending on the door, I often put a towel on top aswell. I've done it on some seriously crappy doors (once that look like they'll fall off their hinges if you so much as open them) and whilst they can take my weight (though I am not heavy), the problem is getting splinters.

15. Ad McG

There's loads of stuff like that in it. If you think this book might possibly be useful to you, then it definitely is.

16. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I ordered the book as it seems very useful, however I am a bit curious about something.

I have read dozens of topics about bodyweight vs weight training, and it seemed that the overall consensus was that bodyweight is good but weight training is best. I know it depends on the actual routine, but is that the case or is bodyweight training just as good?

17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'm sure the H&F natives will chime in but I imagine that defining 'best' in terms of routine comes down to primarily what your trying to do.

If your trying to improve sheer strength... then bodyweight is only going to take you so far. You're never going to get raw brute strength... gorilla, grizzly or beerkeg throwing strength by doing bodyweight routines.

That's not say they're all bad.
    They are great for conditioning and for muscular endurance. But big increases in power and strength you need more resistance than bodyweight can provide. That means weights.

A combination of both always seemed to work out best for me in terms of not becoming bored and not letting my body get into a rut.

Much of the Ross Enamait material does use weights... though much of that dumbbells and medicine balls.

My .02 cents.

18. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

In Never Gymless? :confused:

19. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

That is what I was wondering, Ross certainly looks ripped but he doesn't appear to be unusually strong(not to mean he is weak, but he doesn't look very big either).

While I like most would love to be ripped, I would prefer to build up my strength and speed.

Will this book help me build my strength/speed or is it mostly muscle endurance?

20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Notice I said much of his material. ;)
    I don't own Never Gymless so I'm not sure whether he does or not.
    In the several that I do own - he does use weights.