Need a 2 week holiday workout - help!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Matt B, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

I'm on holiday for the next 2 weeks so won't have the usual accces to weights. In years gone by this has meant letting myself go for 2 weeks, but this time I want things to be different. What I would like is a suggestion of A full body workout that needs no equipment and can be done 3 times a week. Help?!

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

You could do things like pushups, handstand pushups, bodyweight rows, pistols, glute ham raises, v-ups, pullups (if you have a bar or a tree branch) and planks.

3. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

use your suitcase as a weight, start with it in front of the chest and push to shoulder press, could add a twist in for extra measure, also can use it for chest press, single arm row, upright row and many more...loads to do on hols without weights, swimming and running also for a bit of a workout...

4. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but if you're training hard for most of the rest of the year, then taking a 2-week break can actually do you more good than continuing to train. It allows your body a break to heal up all the little niggling problms that you can pick up from training.

If you really do want to train, then I'd advise at least doing something completely different. Another idea to add to your list: how about doing interval sprints along the beach (or in the fields if you're not by the coast).

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I recommend multiple high rep sets of bicep curls, try to keep the weight no higher than 2lbs.

Just remember to use both arms.

6. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

Although I do weights i don't think i need 2 weeks off to recover really. But i did think doing something totally different would be good.

My strength to body weight ratio is pretty poor so i will struggle with things like pulls ups but I'll see what i can manage. Pistols and press-ups are definitely on the cards. I'll be doing sprinting on alternate days anyway.

Sadly I'm on holiday as in off work but not going anywhere. Don't even have a suitcase it ahs been that long since i went away! :(

For the bicep cursl we're looking at 1kg (2ib ish right?) so a bottle of water will do! How many reps are we talking?

May actually see what the council gym is like if i can. Or go swimming as suggested! I just want to keep active really.

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

8. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

I forgot to say I was doing painting and decorating for a week. After the first full day everything is sore! Also did my first 8 round Tabata run, which made me feel very VERY unfit!

9. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

if you are at home, why can't you do the same thing? anyway, i'm with cosmic about taking the 2 week break. i especially find that when i'm on vacation(or holiday, as you put it) and I try to get training in, I have no motivation. I think holyhead was joking with you. Anyway, since your pullups aren't up to par, you can use the 2 weeks to bring up your pullups(and/or pushups). Stew Smith, who's a trainer for the US Military, recommends doing 50 pullups a day, on top of your regular training for 10 days, I did it for about 7 days and went from 3 to 10 pullups(closer neutral grip). Chad Waterbury just had an article saying to do 50 pullups and 100 pushups 6 days a week for 6 weeks for great growth in upperbody. If you are already good at pushups, you can do elevated pushups or ring pushups(very easy and cheap to make rings if you have a pulllup bar and run to the hardware store for chains. You could try something like that. I think thats probly the way to get good at pistols as well. You could just do those and say 25-50 pistols a day, so that you get your upperbody push and pull, and lowerbody in for the time. Just a thought. Oh and btw, be prepared for your arms to be sore for the first few days.