My workout schedule to lose weight

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Intan86, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

Hi MAPers,

Here is my schedule, pls give your opinions or suggestions.

Mornings:
    Mon,Wed,Fri,Sun: Ab Crunch,Elbow to knee,V-sit ups, Flutter kicks
    -9* times each in continous motion
    Burpee - 11*x2

Tue,Thu,Sat: Pushups variations-Diamond,regular,knuckles,wide,girlie(wide)
    -9* times each in continous motion
    Burpee - 11*x2

Evenings:
    Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu: Jog 10 mins and then HIIT

Fri,Sat,Sun: Jog for 10* mins

*will increase each week

Every morning at 6.30 I will do my workouts before I have breakfast and then straight to the lecture hall. After my classes are finish, I will do my workout
    at 5. Is this schedule okay? I want it to be a maximum fat burning schedule. I'm doing it for 12 weeks(short-term goal) and after that I'll see if I reach my goal and adjust whatever is necessary. And within the 12 weeks,I will chart my progress every 3 weeks.

Thank you! :D

2. gutsglorydesire

gutsglorydesire New Member

Hi Intan,

As is the norm here , before the big players come ;) , let me give you my two pence.

Onthe face of it i dont feel too excited about this workout. In my experience any workout helped me lose weight and feel fit if a) it was intense enough and b) i continued it long enough .

This workout doesnt seem that intense . Throw in a clock and some burpees with your pushups . Make room for medicine ball pushups, some core work.If bagwork can be done great.

And why no weight training .See if there is no variety it becomes less interesting both for your body and your mind. Nothing fancy , deadlifts and squats twice a week. Make some note of grip training exercises . Just do them when you are really feeling in a slump.

Again i am a big fan of sledgehammer and sandbag. Just love them . Try.

Personally i dont like tabata but if you can do them again nothing like it. Again whatever you do stick with the program for atleast some time.

Hope this helps ,

Good luck

3. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

The goal is so I can look good. Being overweight has made me become self-concious about myself. I never did really care but with the constant teasing I just don't want to hear it anymore. I'm feeling very lucky to have a boyfriend who really doesn't care about my weight but I can tell that he's quite embarrased about it. He didn't care going out with me but when he's friends you know, tease him I felt guilty. You see he's skinny and I'm fat so people were like...whoa?!!! and then they just laugh. I don't want to embarrased him anymore because he's such a nice guy. If the teasing continues I don't think he can take it anymore. And then it would be over....boohoo!!!

4. gutsglorydesire

Oops..you are a girl ..didnt know that :) So that just makes my post look STUPID :cry:

Except for two things:

a) Your workout must be intense
    b) And you must stick with it

So go and get fit. Good Luck .

On the other hand you could make you bf fat too.. ;)

5. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

Don't you think that's intense enough? I think it is to me especially with the HIIT. I never tried it before and I'm sure the first two weeks will be extremely exhausting.
    I've tried make him eat more and also using weight gain supplement...NOT! I like him just the way he is. Although he doesn't have the body that would make you drool but doesn't matter I don't have a great body too. :love: I just don't get it why do people like to laugh at people like my bf and I? What does physical appearance has anything to do with love? I wish I can punch them in the mouth but of course I can't! :woo: :bang: When I finally get rid of the excess fat we'll be the envy of others(fingers crossed).

6. gutsglorydesire

If you have neverdone them before they should be exhausting enough. Let me rephrase myself ..continue your workout with increasing intensity.

On a side note ideally i should tell you that dont do this cos others laugh but do it for yourself . But that is all crap . The greatest happiness you can find is by proving those people wrong . If you cant hit then in face( though that should also be tried ) hit them with what you can do to yourself .

So in conclusion get fit , get tough , let them see the new improved you ....and then hit then in their face :D

7. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Losing weight starts with dieting

8. Torell

Torell New Member

Well... by overweight how much do you mean? i dont mean to invade personal space or anything, just that a workout and diet varys on how much the person taking it needs...

Im in a similar situation. ive just created a routine for my gf, whos a fine size. im happy with her size, but want her to maybe lose 5 kg, because its healthier.
    its been 1 week and 2 days, each week the workout progressing with more intensity.

i think this would be a fine method 4 you, although for my gf i have added in dieting, like a cut down in soft drinks and serving sizes of food. (i hope that was a good idea:S)

gl with it tho.

btw, i dont know what these are called, but you can try; lying flat on your back, legs straight out and together. put your hands palm down under your bum and do leg raises? raising them to 90 degrees and back down, but make sure on the way down you stop at about 5cm off the ground and go back up..

their pretty hard so start with low reps and between sets just hold your legs from touching the ground, then continue second set. :D

9. Torell

Torell New Member

Well... by overweight how much do you mean? i dont mean to invade personal space or anything, just that a workout and diet varys on how much the person taking it needs...

Im in a similar situation. ive just created a routine for my gf, whos a fine size. im happy with her size, but want her to maybe lose 5 kg, because its healthier.
    its been 1 week and 2 days, each week the workout progressing with more intensity.

i think this would be a fine method 4 you, although for my gf i have added in dieting, like a cut down in soft drinks and serving sizes of food. (i hope that was a good idea:S)

gl with it tho.

btw, i dont know what these are called, but you can try; lying flat on your back, legs straight out and together. put your hands palm down under your bum and do leg raises? raising them to 90 degrees and back down, but make sure on the way down you stop at about 5cm off the ground and go back up..

their pretty hard so start with low reps and between sets just hold your legs from touching the ground, then continue second set. :D

10. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

To lose weight, you have to focus on all 3 aspects of your life.

1. Diet
    2. Training
    3. Rest

Diet:

This is the most important part of either putting on weight, or losing it. If you eat more than you burn, you will put on weight, if you eat less, you will lose. Sounds simple when put like that.

Firstly. Cut out all processed sugar from your diet. It does nothing productive for your body, and will make you fat.

Eat more fruit and vegetables. Replace all unhealthy things in your diet (sugar, white processed flours etc) with either fruit or veg. If you are about to eat chocolate, then instead go for a banana etc. Fish is a great way to get all the nutrients you need. Grilled fish, with a salad dressed in olive oil and lemon juice is a great dinner.

Workout roughly how many callories you eat a day. Now reduce that number by around 500. Weigh yourself once a week-2weeks and monitor yourself. If you are reducing your weight, then your causing a calorie deficit in your body which is making you lose weight, if you have not lost weight, or have put on weight, reduce the amount of calories you are taking in by a further 500.

Training.

You need High Intensity exercises. These will burn calories, and help you to reduce your weight.

1. Inteval Sprints. Just sprint a set distance running as fast as you can. Jog back and then repeat.
    2. Heavy bag training
    3. Tabta inteval training.
    4. Hill sprints (holding a heavy bag) etc

Losing weight is all about causing a calorie deficit in your body. The more you train, the more calories you will burn. If you have reduced the amount of calories you take in a day, then you will lose weight.

Rest.

Make sure you are getting 8hrs or more quality sleep a night. Not sleeping properly has been linked to diabetes and obesity. Your body releases all sorts of hormones when you are in REM (Rapid Eye Moment) sleep. These hormones help you lose weight and build muscle.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  11. Ren-shi-shin

Ren-shi-shin New Member

Intan--Congrats on taking the first step and setting up a routine for yourself. you know your body better than anyone here, so the most obvious point is to work out as intensely as you can. It helps a LOT if you can find a workout buddy to help push each other through the hardest parts. I'm a personal trainer, and yet I find it hard sometimes to motivate myself to go that extra step, so sometimes I hire another trainer just to get me through the "down times" (such as now, with the cold, grey miserable canadian winter weather).
    The other thing to do is find ways to work exercise into your lifestyle. Losing weight quickly is one thing, but to change your life you have to make lifestyle changes. Get involved in evening classes, walk to school. walk on your lunchbreak. Walk everywhere! If you're new to exercise, you're going to find your workouts hard and boring and I predict you'll last a week or two then quit. Find something you enjoy and throw yourself into it. I can run on a treadmill for an hour and burn 600 calories, but it's boring as all hell and I usually give up. However, I can take a kickboxing class and burn 1200 calories over the two-hour long class and never feel bored, have people around to motivate me, etc. Don't worry about your excess weight when you're joining a class--people will most likely be supportive of you, and you'll have other people to share your weightloss with, which will also help motivate.
    I think what you've got will work to some extent, if you take on board what others have said (diet, and rest is important--add weights if you can). Instead of friday, saturday and sunday being 10 minutes of jogging and increasing that, focus on the idea that you're going to be run-walking for an hour. Jog for ten minutes if that's all you can do, but then keep walking for 10 minutes, and then try jogging for another ten, etc. Gradually increase and eventually you'll just see that as your "hour jog" and eventually you'll be jogging the whole time.
    Good luck and let us know your progress.

12. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

I've set my workout schedule but the problem now is the eating habit. What can I say I love food. And since I'm in college now I eat food from the cafetaria like everyone else.Here's where the problem starts the food aren't healthy.
    In our part of the world we eat white rice which I know is bad but I've tried eating without it and I feel really eerm..tired and my head's aching. I want to lose weight but I need energy to move from one lecture hall to another. I don't have a car/motorcycle so I walk from my hostel to class 5 days a week.

I skip breakfast and eat just breads or cereals at lunch and then in the evening I eat a full meal.

Full meal-White rice, chicken(fried/curry/etc.) and vegetables or whatever the cafeteria offered. It's buffet style.

Well, that's my eating habit. Yeah, I know it's bad for me but there's no other choice and the food are yummy!!! I just can't resist!

13. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Try to split your meals up into more smaller ones, and eat as few carbs in the evening as you can. White rice is not neccesarily a bad food, especially since you have a training regime going now, you're just eating it late in the day. Just stay off sweets/sugary foods, pastry and dairy and you should be ok. I've been on this diet with training on top since the end of june, and got good results from it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  14. CDNhammer

CDNhammer New Member

There's your biggest problem right there....you CANNOT skip breakfast! It's the most important meal of the day, and it's the one that kick starts your metabolism into action.

Stay away from too much carbs at lunch....or at least spread them out better and through in some fruits/vegs or meats. Have a quick bowl of cereal or oatmeal for breakfast and go from there.....but you can't skip meals. Seriously.

15. Judge

Judge Valued Member

As a college student, also eating from a cafeteria i've never really been concerned with what exactly I eat as, like you said, it's mostly unhealthy foods ment to taste decent, though, I do try to eat a decent amount of fruit with breakfast and lunch. . .

To supplement any training you do I suggest attempt to split up your meals as suggest above. Instead of eating 2 full meals ( or even 3 if you stop skipping breakfast ) try to turn that into 6 smaller meals. Rather, try to make it so that your body never really feels hungry but in the same respect don't over eat.

The problem with skipping breakfast is that your body hasn't eaten in many hours because of sleep and then you skip an early morning meal in favor of a later meal. Your body as a defensive mechanism will then begin storing more fat from your next meal because it isn't aware of when it's next meal will be. . .A defensive mechanism designed around famine and such. If you keep your body from being hungry ( while still not eating in a haphaziard fashion ) your body will store less fat after every meal.

Generally since I only get 3 cafeteria meals a day I try to make sure to have something light at each of them ( Usually 1 full plate, never will I go back for seconds ) and I try to keep some smaller snacks in my room if I'm ever hungry ( crackers, soup, goldfish ). It may not be the healthest foods to keep for this purpose but like I said in college you don't have as many choices as one may like.

16. Omnipotent

Omnipotent New Member

You have to do some running and adjust your diet for the most rapid results. I'd take more time to give a detailed outline but I am studying for my exam. Just Eat low glycemic foods along with your normal diet for now or shorten your normal diet, I'm no sure about what it consists of. That should help for now.

17. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Skipping breakfast is the reason you are feeling tired.

Have some fruit and maybe brown bread toast for breakfast. Drink some fruit juice

White rice is bad. Stay away from it. In fact, stay away from anything made with white processed flour or sugar.