My kicks look horrible, what to do? (with video)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by AxeKickAllDay, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Hey OP, here's my view based on your video.

1. You're not flexible enough to achieve the kick you're trying to do. One good sign of this is that you're reaching the height of the kick with your foot but not your knee. Your knee is staying low - below your waist height - and your foot is only reaching higher because your knee is pointing slightly downwards and remaining slightly bent, giving the illusion of extra effective height on the kick because your foot is at the height you think it should be.

2. You also need some more leg strength. Your legs are buckling at the point of impact because they're not strong enough to support the leg and the resistance of your opposing muscles being tight.

Neither of these are killer problems. They just need more basic training and Mitch's advice about lots of slow kicks. Don't try and muscle your way through it or you'll buggerize your hamstrings like I keep doing by not following my own advice.

I'm not a big fan of that Bill Wallace video as I think the hip and leg positions he demonstrates aren't achievable by someone who doesn't already have his level of strength and flexibility, but the principle is good. Work on your leg strength and form and you could nail the kicks within six months or so, I reckon.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Amen to that. I only ever did up to my green belt in Kickboxing, before I just stopped bothering with grades altogether, despite having trained full contact for four years lol. I've seen far worse than me who wear black belts.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Every single one of these plums is a blackbelt

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiNFh1Rk4s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiNFh1Rk4s[/ame]

Get to a proper school stat!

4. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Scary stuff that video, people actualy train in this stuff?

To the op if you need to get your black belt before your allowed to train anywhere else the get it and move on. Don't become one of those tools.

If it's just the cost that's the issue (parents won't fund you training elsewhere) why not get a part time job and pay for your training yourself? You never know showing that level of commitment may inspire your parents to compromise a bit.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Or sit down and explain to your parents that a blackbelt means nothing if they are simply wasting money on garbage

If you are that bothered send off for a physical belt and buy this:

http://www.dojopress.com/catalogbk7.html

Then your parents can be happy that you only wasted $19.95 on a worthless grade

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

For the record, we're not saying your school is bad because we don't know it. We are just under the assumption that you don't love it :p

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Yup.

It's old but still painful and hilarious after all this time. :D

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Have your parents (presumably not) taken the time to read up about "what it means" to be a black belt or some of the ridiculousness to do with it? Is it worth pushing with them?

Everybody else has hit the nail on the head when it comes to advice about the actual technique though.

8. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

or you could just show them that video.

I spit my coffee on that one. still lol

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  9. Del Piero

Del Piero New Member

What's posted before helped me a lot to improve my kicks. Do it very slowly, but with a correct technique and don't bother about height in the beginning.

For me this was a inspirational video:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsLEOmoQ_AY&index=22&list=PL2DE629211054B99F"]Taekwon-do ITF - Improving Basic Kicks by Master V.Alexandris - YouTube[/ame]

10. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

11. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Kudos my hero for makeing a video and putting it up, let me diagnose your kick condition if I may.

1.Your flailing your arms a bit to much, likely cause your off balance.
    2.You are not chambering the kick correctly, your getting a little ass in it but not enough to make it really effective. Opponets will slap it away exploit your balance issue and get your flank if you keep throwing that kick like that.

You need to sllow down, stop machine gun kicking, throw that kick slower with proper form, extend it and hold it still yntill you get your balance then pull it back. Isometric kicking will help you.