My kicks look horrible, what to do? (with video)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by AxeKickAllDay, Dec 30, 2014.

1. AxeKickAllDay

AxeKickAllDay New Member

Hey guys, now I have always had poor flexibility and really feel it's time to address it. I recorded my kicking so you can see the problem (I can record more if my angles are horrible), I tilt over and use too much glute when I kick and overall it's just looks pretty grim. I am trying as hard to kick straight and from my perspective I am! I stretch every second day but my flexibility is rather poor. I also don't have the strength to measure up and do slow kicks in TKD. I just want some advice of stretches or strengthening techniques I can employ to fix this. The dream would be to be able to measure up by Easter, the earliest black belt exam. Is this possible and if so, how? Thanks in advance!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6MDtye0qf0&feature=youtu.be"]Kicking problems - YouTube[/ame]

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Are you telling me you couldn't have done that with a t shirt on? :p

Doesn't look terrible, are you hitting it when you're sparring? Also, you're belly down. You should be perpendicular to the floor.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

4. Pretty In Pink

Also noticed you're in Edinburgh! Awesome! Me too! Are you going out to princess street for NYE?

5. AxeKickAllDay

AxeKickAllDay New Member

Haha, I was recording these for personal review and only got the idea to put it up here afterwards, I was going to re-record with one on but thought it would not be that big of a deal, sorry if you get freaked out by shirtless people. :p It lands when I need it too, but I'd like it as close to picture perfect as I could get it. I know I should be perpendicular, but the question is how do I go about unlearning this form and building strength with the correct technique? I figured practice and stretch and do some strength work but I'm looking for specifics, perhaps from someone who has been through the problem or has worked with improving someones kicks before. I see you do MMA, how do you train your kicks and if you had the problem I do, how would you personally go about fixing it?

6. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

How long have you been training? These things take time I've been doing it for years and my side kicks still look horrid.

7. AxeKickAllDay

AxeKickAllDay New Member

Been following this for months, I know I'm not ready that's why I'm asking for advice. Please assume I at least researched on my own before I posted a video.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Then follow the instructions in that thread and wait for the results - this will never happen overnight

Patience Grasshopper

9. AxeKickAllDay

AxeKickAllDay New Member

Since little, but I only say I have been training properly for about a year or so. The class I learn at is also not very good and I want to swap to a renowned MMA gym in the area I know of, but my parents refuse to let me until I have a black belt, hence the rushing. They say it would be a waste not to get one. Stretching at home for maybe 2 months seriously.

10. AxeKickAllDay

AxeKickAllDay New Member

Thanks for the advice I suppose? I was looking more for strength training tips for holding kicks or doing them with better form then to be told to stretch and be patient. Assume I am already stretching and am fine to take however long I need to get this right. Do you know of any tangible advice that can help me, any exercises that can be used, any drills that help or any cues that I can use? It's what I'm looking for.

11. raaeoh

Misconception. A black belt from a bad school is worse than a green from a good one.

12. AxeKickAllDay

AxeKickAllDay New Member

Gonna be on the meadows, but have fun if you are going onto princess street!

13. roblen

roblen Valued Member

Try MMA or thai. In fairness neither does side kicks to any great degree at all.

14. raaeoh

Slow controlled movements. Perform the kick as correct and slow.as you can. Hold a chair if you have too. Read the thread that Hannibal linked to. And most of all be paitent

15. AxeKickAllDay

AxeKickAllDay New Member

Definitely, but my only way of being allowed into a good school is to get a black belt at a bad one. I'm not going to call myself a black belt or wear it like a trophy, just going to be happy to be finally allowed to train somewhere passionate about martial arts. It's stupid I know, but my parents are adamant.

16. Pretty In Pink

Ugh, if it's a bad school it's not worth any time. It will also be harder to re-learn kicks used in Thai boxing. I know of two schools that are very good for MMA, and my own, which is more of a martial arts school tbh.

Anyway, good luck, I think your parents are wrong to make you do something youre not interested in but it's your decision as a family.

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Several things to think about.

1. Slow kicks. Get hold of a chair back and do slow kicks into the air. Lots of good advice in this video:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxokaEvKnD8"]Superfoot Wallace training for high kicks with a chair - YouTube[/ame]

2. Redo your video with a shirt on for Chadderz but most importantly so we can see your supporting foot and check the angle it's at. This changes the kick completely and is often missed. I don't think this is your problem but it's worth looking at.

3. Which kick are you trying to perform? If it's a side kick your starting position is all wrong, if it's a back kick (WTF style) you're flaring the knee too early. In either case I think you'd benefit from a tighter, higher knee position at the start of the kick.

4. Squats and deadlifts are your friend.

Hope that helps, post the answers to 2 and 3 :)

Mitch

18. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Okay, I might sound like a fool now, so: Sorry for that!
    But:
    You mean like... I don't know... your instructor?

Why not get him in the boat?
    I mean, sure, I ask in forums too. That's part of that they there for.
    But with stuff like that, my teacher is the first to get advice from. Always.

Not sure about other countries (I hope it can't be that different though) - but thinking about black belt testing after a year?
    Here, when you're doing decent enough obviously and the teacher thinks you're ready, you might have your second grading (i.e. orange, or depending on the style yellow) after a year.
    (Doesn't count for every school, of course. Other take longer and the bad ones rush their students)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
  19. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Yes, I too am a little confused as to which kick you are doing. I can't tell if it is a power thrust style kick or a wheel type kick (jabby type).

I want to say you aren't chambering enough first, but I can't tell without knowing what style of kick you are throwing.

But with either style of kick - Are you envisioning kicking through your target- not just touching your target and retreating? Throwing a kick with proper intention goes a long way to improving the quality of a kick.

And no shirt is better than say a tapout shirt. Really Chadderz has fight video's where he has no shirt. Wait - isn't his avatar of him fighting with no shirt?:eek: I wouldn't worry about that.

20. Pretty In Pink

Lets be clear, I'd rather we were both fighting with Gis on.