muscular endurance

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by faster than you, Dec 13, 2005.

1. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

i have excellent explosive power and pound for pound strength, but my muscular endurance is horrendous. this is never more obvious than when rolling or hitting the mitts/heavy bag at full force. i rarely endure the entire round of striking as either my shoulders or chest will give out, and my hams and back/biceps give out when rolling much faster than my cardiovascular. how can i increase muscular endurance without sacrificng power? is it possible?
    if i can't win early i have a very difficult time winning at all.

2. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

It sounds like you need to spend more time hitting the bag. It's a lot like wrestlers who try and build up their sport stamina through exercise and it doesn't quite work...they usually end up puking all over the place (slight exageration).

However, BeWater passed this onto me a couple of days ago that's inspired by Dan John...
    1X20 snatch drops
    1X50 snatch high pulls from the high hang
    1X20 snatches from the hang
    8X5 over head squats

You could start incorporating an endurance day in your workouts or start incorporating things like dumbbell swings for high reps, etc

3. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

4. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

I'm sorry bro, but I think you might have to change your name to something like "Faster than you, in a short race". :D I kid, I kid.

I agree with Samurai. This may be one of the rare instances where a period of lighter weight, higher rep (anywhere from 15-100) work is appropriate. More sport-specific bag work or groundwork would be fine. 1 or 2 days a week of this kind of work should be plenty.

I don't know if I'd go with an exact G.P.P. routine like Blake suggested, only because G.P.P. is more of a general conditioning exercise. It's more cardiovascular endurance, not so much muscular endurance. If you're certain it's not your "wind", then Waterbury's program wouldn't be correcting much.