L carnitine Information

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by koolaid, Aug 11, 2008.

1. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

I have recently started using L carnitine before doing some cardio.
    I have found it pretty effective in burning fat.

I was wondering if anyone knew how long it stays effective in your system.

I was told to take it about 1 hour before going for a run, I was wanting to know if it would still be in my system if I were to take it at 7pm, go to martial arts training till 8:30 and go for a run afterwards if it would still be effective in my system.

I would imagine so but am just wondering.

2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I've done a little snooping around and I've managed to find out a couple of things:

1) There's some disagreement on it's half-life, with some saying it's around the 5-7 hour mark, and others saying it's around 15-17 hours. I'm at work, so I can't spend much more time searching. Googling l carnitine and half life might turn up more info:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=+"l+carnitine"++"half+life"&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

2) One thing that does seem unanimous is that it seems to reach saturation at a 2g dose, so no more than that is needed.

Edit: Oops, got carried away there. So to answer your question, it'd still be in your system at a fairly high percentage of your original dose by the time you have your run, regardless of which half-life is most accurate.

3. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

Wicked, thanks for the information.

Im not to familar with the term saturation.
    What does this mean?

If it helps any, the recommended dose is 10mls which I have been taking 1 hour before a work out.

4. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I'm no chemist either. In very simple terms, if you take 2g, you'll absorb 2g. if you take 3g, you'll absorb 2g and pee out 1g. I'm not sure how g translate into mls. Sounds like you're taking it in a liquid?

5. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

Yup, liquid form.

Not sure what that would equate to in grams.

Tho the bottle does recommend 1-3 servings per day if that helps anyway.

Im just sticking to the one before work out otherwise it becomes to expensive.