kettlebells

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Swimming Dragon, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Swimming Dragon

Swimming Dragon Valued Member

Anyone use 'kettlebells' as part of their strength training regime? How effective are they? versitile? techniques?

Been thinking of modifying some spare cast iron plates to make similar type devices.......... ANY THOUGHTS?

2. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

They make a good tool.

As long as you dont ONLY use them, or think they are the be all end all of training devices (like some people do), then they're fine.

3. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

Kettlebells are very effective. I workout with them 3x a week. They are the be all and end all of training.

You can use dumbbells as a substitute.

4. DSDbronson

DSDbronson Master of Sports & Women

You can get adjustable weight kettlebells. There's a few different types on a couple different sites that I know of. New York Barbells is one. http://www.prowriststraps.com/kettle_grips_kettlebells_dumbbells_weights is another. Great for the forearms and strength gains. There are a lot of exercises out there for them like farmer's walks but up and down stairs. Dan John is in this month's kettlebell issue at dragondoor raving on them. Believe it. But don't stop with kettlebells. Anything with a wide grip will make you an immovable oak(or palm tree if your in hurricane country like me). If you get a kettlebell you can start working on your two hands anyhow lift.

5. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

As already stated, they are just another tool. Depending on what your goals are depends on whether or not you should buy them.

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL! :D

Hardly.

7. DSDbronson

"Excellent for swings, laterals, rowing, and a variety of throwing-related movements." but seriously besides that;

1)very noticeable fatigue, they're a workout in and of themselves
    2)very noticeable strength gains, the functional full body strength you need.

8. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

In my experience they seem to really cane my forearms, for two reasons. Firstly cause the balance of the kettlebell always pulls to one side, and secondly cause it hits your forearms or presses against them in some exercises.

Also, don’t know if its just me, but if I really push it, the next day my whole body is sore, including my legs, in particular the ham’s.

There are a few exercise that can’t be duplicated with a dumbbell, but you can pretty much do all dumbbell exercise with a kettlebell. It also ads a new twist to the dumbbell exercises because of the various ways you can hold a ketllebell, this usually makes the exercise more intense.

The only thing I miss with kettlebells is bench press, there is no way I can think of duplicating that, plus I don’t have a bench which is part of the problems. But you can always do push ups, though their not really the same thing.

If anyone is planning to get one, I recommend getting one of Pavel’s kettlebell DVD’s, they are cheesy, but there are quite a few exercises on there that are unique, and difficult to comprehend without assistance.

9. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Well personally I think eating everything that i can and having the most sickeningly big looking weights on my dumbells or barbelll is the be all end all of training but thats just me

Personally I think kettlebells were designed very much in the day where adjustable dumbells didn't exist and the fact is that anything you can do with a kettlebell can be done with a dumbell

10. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Have you used a kettlebell?

11. DSDbronson

I'm seriosly into dumbells and they're seriously not the same in all the ways that count. You can't get the swinging from the dumbbells which is what brings in the fatigue and stabilization factors and the rest.

12. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

You can, wrap a towl round the dumbell and use them like that with it handing slightly, always works wonders for your grip. Anyway unless you are doing exeplosive power lifts or oly lifts you have no excuse for it swinging around. If you have proper form you shouldn't as such be throwing the weight up lol!

13. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Swings with KBs or DBs are very useful movements, especially for developing explosive power in the hips. Don't underestimate them. They are also good for high rep conditioning.