Kettlebells

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by watto86, Sep 8, 2005.

1. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

I just wanted the opinion of anyone on MAP whos used them before.
    Do they work good? Would anyone recommend them?
    Just like to know before I go off spending hundreds of dollars of my hard earned cash. Even though I could easily afford them.
    Thanks guys.

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I got mine today, looks cool, but thats about all I can tell you for now..

3. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

They're a decent tool, worth getting if you're really in the mood for them and already own a barbell set.

Despite what Pavel may promote, there are only a few exercises that can be done with KB's that can't be done with other implements. But...every piece of equipment will have it's pros and cons. The biggest con for KB's is definitely the cost, and the fact that each is a fixed, non-adjustable weight. The biggest pro is probably that it opens the door to a handful of new exercises and training possibilities. Always remember though, they're no magic bullet cure-all.

4. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I've seen a "bell of some sort that looks like a jugglers pin, but much heavier of course. Are these just kettlebells of a different shape? I was thinking of getting a set of three and juggling them for the heck of it.

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Agreed on all counts. I'm actually gonna pick some up for some convenient home training, but there is not a chance in hell I would give up all my other training just to use them.

Nordic - you are probably talking about clubbells. Do a search for them, there's a few topics on here about them. There's also a member called clubbell trainer who is well into them, drop him a line if you are interested. They have similar advantages and disadvantages to KBs IMO - just another tool.

6. Club Kozak

Club Kozak New Member

I've been using them, as there popular with Sambists in eastern Europe.I've recently got certified and am giving privates in the Montreal area.

7. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Thanks Adam. Did a search and those are the critters. While juggling them would be a kewl trick it would not be much of a workout other that impressing my wife and my friends. :D

8. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

I use kettlebells and love it. But of course like any workout, you have to do it it to work.

I have a magic bullet cure all. Ends all fights all the time.

9. watto86

OK. Thanks guys. I think I might buy some now. Just gotta get a credit card. :p

10. Ad McG

I would agree with this. I don't own an olympic set myself, I would love to but I simply don't have the space hence why I am getting a couple of KBs. However, if I had the space I would have an oly bar and a power rack in seconds!

11. watto86

OK. Update:
    I applied for a CC today (its the only way to buy them here). So hopefully that will come through and i'll get them then :D.

12. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

why not just get a debit card?

13. Mufty

Mufty New Member

Can you hit kettle balls?

If not don't bother He He He :)

14. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Finally got my kettlebell and DVD yesterday and had my first workout. It was a bit strange following Pavel’s “no training to failure” rules, but I guess it’s a matter of getting used to.

Overall, from my limited kettlebell experience and my MA experience, I think the two go together quite well, i.e. the kettlebell drill emphasize using the whole body to generate power as my MA practice does. It was particularly nice to feel the connection between the exercises and generation of potential strikes/blocks etc.

I gotta say as well Pavel’s DVD “Russian Kettlebell Challenge” is great, there are loads of exercise and variations, and his explanations are spot on. The only off putting, or even comical thing is, Pavel acting evil, I thought it was quite amusing, less “Evil Russian”, more “Dr. Evil”. However, the guy is pretty tough, he does some hardcore stuff with a KB.

Also on the DVD were some adds for his other DVD’s and Books, some of the stuff looks really interesting, will have to invest in the future and have a closer look.

Anyone have any lengthy experience with Pavel’s training principles, mainly “no training to failure”. If so, what do you think it is best and worst compared to traditional bodybuilding i.e. for strength, physique, MA (mobility, speed, agility).

15. watto86

Yeah. The CC application was turned down. So it looks like a debit card of sorts is next on the list I spose. As long as a debit card (visa or mastercard) can be used anywhere that the CCs can. Can they? Sorry, just don't know much about them.
    I really want some. lol

16. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

^........huh....... :confused:
    lol

17. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

That was random.

[​IMG]

18. watto86

OK guys. Update time:
    I had a Visa Debit Card approved today. So it looks like I should be able to start buying stuff online pretty soon... Finally.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2005
  19. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

::waves hand, a'la Obi Wan Kenobi:: There was no random post here. :cool:

Watto, just take it slow. Like Spider-Man said, 'With great finances, comes great responsibility." Or, something like that. Especially if this is your first plastic, it's important (though lame) to remember that it's not free money, and it's easier to spend more than you first intended.

20. Ad McG

Yeah, or you could just be like me and spend 400quid of your first months teacher training salary on a 185kg olympic set, a trap bar, dumbell handles, a plate tree and more collars :D