Joint Pain While Lifting

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Gray, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Gray

Gray New Member

Hey guys. I've got a quick question for some knowledgable weight-lifters out there. I've recently started lifting weights and right now I'm doing a lot of barbell curls. I was just wondering if its a normal thing to feel a bit of joint pain while doing so. After I complete a curl, when my arms are extended in front of my thigh I feel a slight elbow pain (this is after more than a few reps, maybe into the second/third set). Is that a normal thing to feel, or should I get some help here?

Thanks.

2. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

It is quite common to get tendonitis around the elbows by doing too much bicep work. Either way, rest is the most likely remedy, if it persists even after you have rested it then get to a doc.

3. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I find the isolation exercises can be worse for this, anybody else?

Try doing more compound exercises such as chin-ups, dumbell rows, powercleans etc.

4. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

I have hypermobile joints, and so can tell when an exercise is bio-mechanically wrong alot sooner than most people. Upright rows, pullovers, etc. - I predicted these exercises would be rightfully banished to workout programme history way before I heard it from the experts.
    The straight barbell curl is next on my list as it twists your elbows and wrists too much - off to workout programme history with it! Use curled bars for curls, or better yet - don't do curls!

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

There's where you're going wrong. More compounds please. First of all though, you need to COMPLETELY lay off for a while until it COMPLETELY recovers, because it will come back with a vengeance if you dive in too soon. Learn from other people, not experience :)

6. Gray

Gray New Member

Hrrm... Righto. Thankies.