Isometrics For Explosiveness

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Master J, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Master J

Master J "No style, no limitation"

How can you use isometrics to work on the explosiveness of the last few inches of a punches extension ( I use vertical punches)????

2. Dragon Brush

Dragon Brush Valued Member

Trick question! You can't! For explosiveness and power, go do some plyometric exercises.

... did I get it right?

3. flaming

flaming Valued Member

4. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Or do some olympic lifts first

5. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Isometrics are the complete opposit of Plyometrics so no. What you wanna do is use ploymetrics to build explosive power... Olympic liftin is always good, but there are some training drills you can use for purely punching power.

6. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

For better carryover on explosiveness, you'd just want to work on full range of motion. Isometrics only have so many degrees of carryover.

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

That said, L-sits and crab poses are awesome.

8. Master J

Master J "No style, no limitation"

Could someone then clearly explain the difference between isometrics and plyometrics?

9. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Isometrics=no movement=static holds Good for building strength in a weak part in a range of motion. Holding any longer than 30 seconds serves little benefit, i.e. increase intensity. They are a good way to train for core stability.

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/
    http://www.beastskills.com/L Seat.htm

Plyometrics=explosive movement=Using the stretch reflex. Do a squat once you get to the bottom drive up as fast as possible. Do a squat and stay at the bottom for 10 seconds then drive up as powerfully as possible. The first time was easier because of the stretch reflex, which through training this way the body can make more efficent use of the stretch reflex.

Some good plyometric exercises would be sprinting, jumping, and throwing.