Isometric split progression

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Van Zandt, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Ortho

Ortho New Member

Support or no support?

When I'm in my side split strech I usually use a chair or the coffee table to lean on with my hands and lean forward a little. Is this improper form when doing these exercises? Should I keep my back straight and let my full weight press down on me? I feel like I support myself to take some of the pressure off my knee joints. Can someone post pictures of the proper form?

2. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

When I do isometrics I make sure all my weight is pressing down on my inner thighs. Using a chair to 'spot' yourself is fine but try your best not to lean forward. This way you hit the right muscles with as strong a contraction as possible. You want to use the chair to help with balance but don't let it be a crutch. Touch it to correct your position but don't lean on it with your hands. Also get out of the stretch without using your hands. At least that's my take on it anyway!

3. Ortho

Ortho New Member

Thanks Caleb. That helps me alot. I'll let you guys know when I achieve a full split, been doing this routine for two weeks now, already noticing progress!

4. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

Ortho, I highly recommend you read the book "Posture and Flexibility" by Kit Laughlin. It's fairly expensive but it is so, so, so good. There are positions that do not require you to stress your knees unnecessarily but yield equal results.

As far as your hip rotation goes, I don't recommend the standing side split position for most of your work. If you sit down and spread your feet about 85% of your full ROM and then lean your hips and trunk forward (with your back straight) and your arms in the air in front of you, you can create a very strong tension in your adductors. That stretch can be learned in greater detail in Pavel's "Relax into Stretch".

5. pascalywood

pascalywood Valued Member

I have questions regarding isometrics and splits. I used to go fairly low when doing side splits and have since decided to add isometric exercises to my training.

I feel like i cant go down as much as before when attempting side splits. Could it be because of a bad form? I keep my toes facing forward, feet on the ground.

Also i sometimes use a stretching machine like this one and can almost reach a 180 degrees stretch, yet when i try the side split my pelvis is 2 foot above the floor. Am I doing something wrong here? Im at work right now but if it helps ill try to take pictures when i get home.

6. Patrick Smith

Hi Pascalywood,

Pictures would help a lot. I need to see if you're hip position is correct. Make sure you rotate your hips forward when doing the standing side split.

7. pascalywood

Almost managed to do a full split today, my pelvis was less than 6 inches above the floor. I kinda cheated it though, started like a side split and on my way down it looked like a front split. Ill take pics this weekend when i have some time. Isometrics sure work well :D

8. Patrick Smith

Sweet! Isometrics are great. :)

9. pascalywood

I tried a front split today. I went as far as I go and started to feel pain in the back knee of the front leg. What would be the cause?

10. Patrick Smith

I can't pinpoint the physiological cause, but you could be trying to advance to quickly. Make sure you are gradually increasing the tensions over a period of 3-5 seconds before you are fully tensing up. It's dangerous to tense up 100% right off the bat.

Isometrics are hard on your joints when you do them in this way. You really should consider doing some form of very high rep exercise (body weight squats, lunges, adductor flies/pulldowns, and deadlifts) to condition your connective tissue. You shouldn't need to do it more than 2-3 times a week and you only need to do about 3 sets for almost max reps (burn) each set with a minute of rest or so.

If in doubt, consult a qualified physiotherapist :)

Edit: Also on the note of safety (and progress), don't start the isometric set in as deep a stretch as you can go. I know many people say that, but they really mean to go as far as you can comfortably, not as far as you can without tearing your muscles. It's safer to start in a comfortable stretch for the first set and then advance to your limit from there. It's also more effective.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  11. bdm0509

bdm0509 New Member

I -think- I've read through this all and not seen this covered:

On multiple sets, are you tensing, getting totally out of the stretch, getting back in, tensing, repeat X times? Or are you getting into the stretch, tensing, sinking a little deeper, tensing again, X times?

Basically, are you starting over each rep, or doing all reps in "one" stretch?

Thanks
    Brett

12. LexFrota

LexFrota New Member

Hey guys! I'm about to start this program, but I have one question...

I read through this topic, and from what I understood, Van Zandt says that you only need to hold the split for 30 seconds, lowering each time more, and then after the third time you tense your muscles for the time needed in your level...

but then Patrick Smith told that you must tense your muscle in these 30 seconds also, not only hold the split position, and then do the final tensing...

so I'm confused, which way should I practice??

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I've always tensed at each progression, but just make sure you don't get tired.

If this happens then just tense on the last stretch until you've built of a degree of strength and flexibility.

14. aspenboy

aspenboy New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm really glad I've found this forum! :) Currently I'm trying the progression from "flexibility express" by T. Kurz (it's far more straightforward than "stretching scientifically" for me). My goal is to focus on isometric exercises, but I'm wondering if I have enough strength already. I can hold 30-sec tension in wide horse-rider stance (well, it's 7 steps, but not as wide as Mr. Kurz shows in the vid), my legs are shaking a bit but I can maintain that. On the other hand I can do only 30 leg raises and adductor flies in one set (without weights), whereas Mr. Kurz states that one should be able to do at least 100 per leg...

So my final question would be - should I drop the squats/wide squats for now and focus only on getting up to 100 reps in leg raises/adductor flies? Or maybe should I combine the squats together with leg raises/adductor flies in one workout and postpone isometrics?

15. antonis

antonis New Member

Progression 3

Van, I did today the third split workout. I am 14 cm above floor with foot turned upwards. How much time do usually someone need to do the full split?
    If it is before workout 16 (carrying weight) how am I going to strengthen more my legs so I can do the split without warm up? Maybe holding the weight and opening the legs some cm above floor? Thanks for the awesome information !
    (and sorry for my grammar, I am from Greece :) )

16. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

I'm quite sure this was somewhere but cannot find it :bang:
    When I get into the splits as down as I can, I cannot tense without holding to a chair. Should I raise up a little bit so that I can avoid the chair? :confused:

17. emotkd

emotkd New Member

Ok so man'ing up to start the program >.< I did a quick test yesterday and kept worrying about either picking up an injury (going cold on this, no warmup) or knees collapsing inwards. Guess it is a psychological barrier I need to get over ...

Has anyone recently started doing this and willing to share experience(s)? Being 30+ I just need that extra bit of nudge to get going :)

Also noticed
    I find it easier if I touch my fingertips on the floor (this is my max stretch atm whether cold or warmed up) for that extra bit of balance when fatigue is kicking in (within the first 2 seconds generally lol)

Cheers.

18. JoeZoo

JoeZoo New Member

I started this program back in June. I'm 28 and have average flexibility. I started from the very beginning, one 30sec hold and will later this week start my first 5rep set of 3:00. It is tough. I remember thinking during my 60sec holds that I'd die if I had to hold 3min. My legs shook so much. But as I conquered each level my resolve grew. It feels easier. Well, not really :D, but it's nowhere near impossible.

As for results, I've hit two very fast plateaus. When I first started I gained inches virtually every week. Then I got stuck in place for two months. Then, mercy, a big breakthrough, and again I'm stuck. I'm 6 inches off the floor now, so I'm hoping this is my last plateau. So close! Will be so worth it!

I try to avoid touching the ground, because I've found that even a little bit significantly reduces the workout intensity. In other words, I feel much less sore after! I have a stool placed in front I use for balance, though it's just to save me for falling over. I don't use it near as much as I used to.

Hope that helps.

19. emotkd

emotkd New Member

Thanks for your reply, very encouraging. I have just returned from an ankle surgery and have a few weeks of recovery time ahead of me. I will start again as soon as I am able to. Goal is to have splits by xmas :D but ofc I will be sensible about it and not tear me in half lol.

Hope you get to where you want to be soon (hope the same for me)

All the best!

20. conejoas

conejoas Valued Member

I have a question!

if i am going to do lvl (15) 5 X 3min
    does that mean that i should squeeze my legs for entire 3 mins then rest and repeat that 5 times. Or should i Squeeze my legs for 30 sec, try to go further squeeze again 30 sec try to go further, and keep on doing that for 3 mins then rest and repeat.