Is this a legit routine i can do ?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by teryaki91, Apr 21, 2013.

1. teryaki91

teryaki91 New Member

since i started reading here i realized there is so much more to stretching than just stretching ... i took a 3 year break from taekwondo because i felt skinny and small, i wanted to get muscular, i joind a gym and now 3 years later im bigger, stronger but also much less flexible :(

i found a routine on youtube which i feel is amazing, i was just wondering if this guy is doing anything wrong ?

im currently doing this routine twice a day, im planning on getting back to taekwondo in like 5-6 months and want to drasticly improve my flexibility untill then

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGnOsNKH2Cs"]Stretching Routine - YouTube[/ame]

p.s i apoligize for my grammar

2. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

Erm, why do you want to start TKD in 5-6 months? Start now.

The type of stretching in the video is all static-passive stretching... meaning it will help your kicks a bit, but not as much as dynamic stretching - achieved by actually doing the kicks.

And I didn't watch the whole video, just skimmed through, but it seems okay.

3. SyDiko

SyDiko New Member

I started TKD last year and in between class days I warm-up, stretch, practice kicks, and stretch a little more; basically static, dynamic, and static stretching. I'm also on the extreme side, I actually use 10lb leg weights for side leg raises to increase my leg muscles. For static stretching and my side split, I picked up a ProForce Leg Stretcher off Craigslist for $50 bucks and it helps a ton too!

The keyword is consistency though, stick to it and you'll see results. At first you'll obviously struggle, but as time goes on your stretches will get deeper and you'll be able to hold them much longer. Just don't hurt yourself! Also, with your prior TKD experience, you should be okay.

I do this for about 30 minutes a day, train TKD 2 nights a week, and CrossFit 2 nights. It helps tremendously.

P.S. - If time and money permit, get back into training ASAP - don't wait!!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  4. NinjaPlease

NinjaPlease Ninjas always say Please.

I would say its a pretty good relaxed stretching routine.

But like Allers said you will need to do dynamic stretching as well. Do dynamic stretches after your warm up and before your main workout. After your workout do the relaxed stretches in the video.

Here is a thread that might help you. It sure helped me.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89245