Is anybody following Kurz' method? I have questions about his strength program

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Wildlings, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

I have started to follow Thomas Kurz' method decribed in "Secrets of stretching", apart from dynamic stretching 'cause I always mess up pelvic alignment and end up with pain in the hips.
    If anybody has followed it, I have some questions.

Kurz states that before starting leg exercises, I should be able to do this exercise 15reps x 3 holding a weight that is 1/3 of my body weight (approx 17 kg in my case).
    Now this is a problem for me because I have no access to weights, and using homemade stuff - formerly: my school bag full of books and similar creations :D - I can get maximum 10 kg. Do you think it could be enough or not?

Also, in that exercise I tend to rely a lot on my legs' strength to hold onto the bench, which I shouldn't do since I have tendinitis in my shins and they hurt like hell doing that. I wouldn't want to interrupt the training as this problem has already messed up 3/4 of the training I had planned to do. Can I do this other exercise instead?

Last but not least, do you know if there is a valid bodyweight exercise to the strength program suggested, or do I have to home-make some other weights?

2. 24ahughes

24ahughes Valued Member

I ordered "stretching scientifically" yesterday and planning to start as soon as it arrives but I guess I'm going to be in the same position when it does as I have no weights at home either.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

A problem with Kurz's earlier work is that it (incorrectly) assumed everyone was a weakling who would get hurt picking up a book off a shelf. While you should be cautious, you'll be fine doing squats right off the bat (IF you do them right and are careful with progression) with a decent program like 5 x 5. Throw in dead lifts and rows (which are integral to 5 x 5) and you've got all the back work you need. You could also do weighted pull-ups for good measure. If you want to be super thorough, then by all means to the preparatory exercises he gives you.

4. Wildlings

Thanks a lot!

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

No worries man. If you've posted other stretching questions in this forum I'll get round to answering them this week. I hope. I am catching up on Breaking Bad after all...

6. Wildlings

Woman, actually. :D and as I've already said, you rock.