Injured my shoulder :(

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TheMachine, Jan 31, 2006.

1. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Injured my shoulder in training yesterday. I hurts when i raise my arms overhead and when I try to bring my arm across my chest (like you would do when you do flyes or cable crossovers) Is this most likely a muscle strain? How long would this take to heal? Info pls? thanks

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Probably muscle strain, probably feel much better after a few days. Probably best rest it for 1 - 2 weeks to be fully fit to train it again. But you'll probably be back training before then, as we all do! :D

3. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Sorry to hear that machine. Do you train your rotators? If not then some L flys, and band work may help. Although as with most injuries, get yourself off to see a pro.

4. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

I do rotator work when warming up. its my first time to injure my left. i sometimes mis align my right shoulder as I am double jointed. If it still hurts by friday, I'll have my therapist friend check it

5. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

To be honest you really should'nt do rotator work at the start of a session. The last thing you want to do is tire the muscle out before the rest of your shoulder work.

6. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Don't you know by now that there's no such thing as being double jointed? And I'd see either an athletic trainer or physio because it could be anything. There are a number of tests that an athletic trainer can use on you and discern the problem.

7. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

What then is the correct term for double jointed? I sometimes misalign my right shoulder and it hurts,but once its popped back into plac, a minute later, its as if nothing happened.

Anyway, my shoulder isn't hurting as much so its most likely a strain. Keep you guys posted

8. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Hypermobile is what is referred to as being "double jointed." :)

9. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

...and it's not a good thing! :cry:

I agree with blessed-samurai (I origionally wrote b_sam, but then thought "how lazy would that be?". Given how much stuff I typed in these brackets it's not like I have anything better to do? :) ) that you should get it checked. If your lucky it's muscle strain, but it could equally be the medial delt-humerus tendon so you'll need to be sure. Unfortunately tendon damage can be a common problem in hypermobile joints.

10. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

That *sounds* like a partial dislocation or subluxation. If it is, then the more it happens the worse your shoulder will become. You risk full dislocation if it keeps on happening too. I have the same problem, and fixing it up is a real nightmare. Long physio or surgery is probably the only way to really sort out the underlying problem.

11. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Its getting better. If its possible to fix it through rehab, I'll talk to my therapist uncle so that I can get on it ASAP