increasing arm size

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by luciobrazil007, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

hard to stay without knowing more. post your routine in a new thread maybe?

2. evva

evva Valued Member

3. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

Genetics maybe? It might be a good idea to talk to a physician, physiotherapist, or a personal trainer to get some solid answers, but yeh that might cost you.

4. Mangosteen

are you srsly suggesting that for someone who has admittedly not been training very long?

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Are you maybe emphasising biceps at the expense of triceps? I have arms like cooked noodles myself but love a good triceps session :D

Mitch

6. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I have never seen anyone with a skinny back, chest, lats, leads and tri's but big bi's. Unless someone has really odd genetics no one will make gains in arms without asking gains everywhere else too.

Also show me someone with big guns and I'll show you some one who curls. I know plenty of people who can crack out some awesome feats on a pull up bar who have arms like spaghetti.

I bought into the whole anti isolation game when I started training, I put in a solid year or two of training and eating and came back with roughly a 500lb Deadlift and 14 inch arms. No to mention a disproportionate pysique, rear and mid delts lacking, upper chest flat, calves like a chicken.

No one here said to drop the basic compound work in favour of curls.

7. seiken steve

Oh yeah, and I wish I was as week as a bodybuilder: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMms7ptOk-4&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Kai Greene 495-pound bench press (2010) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKEYG5Y3U0g&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]RONNIE COLEMAN - 360 kls (800 pounds) - YouTube[/ame]

8. evva

evva Valued Member

:bang:

It was a joke and i credit most people in this thread with the intelligence to see that.

9. Mangosteen

jokes, sarcasm and the like only translate across the internet when you put smileys :p

10. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Anyone else notice the Bruce Lee poster in the 800 lb squat vid with Ronnie Coleman?

11. february

february Valued Member

I'm sure there's a portrait of Jigoro Kano on the other side ;-)

12. luciobrazil007

luciobrazil007 Valued Member

thanks for the replies. im only 16 so my arms will probally grow naturally

13. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Exercise is only one of the 3 things that make for gains.

Exercise, rest, nutrition. If you are doing one right and nothing is happening look at the others.

14. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

Well if he wants to have bigger arms, adding isolation exercises is not a bad thing, privuded that he still trains the main compound lifts. If he's already doing squats, deadlufts, bench, oh press, rows, pullups and is not seeing a change in his arms, adding curls etc will not hurt. Sure the strength gains from bigger biceps may not be transferred directly to his martial arts or sport performance, but it looks good!

I say go for it!

First time posting on MAP since 2007. Feels goid to be back!

15. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

This is an old thread, but I thought i'd throw my 2 cents in. A very good way for arm growth is drop sets. I don't know if anyone has mentioned them.

My current bicep routine is the following and i've seen nice growth from it (i'm also a seasoned lifter so it's harder to make gains that I did at first. Anyway it goes as such.

Concentration curls: Warm up with a light weight with 12-15 reps
    30 lbs @ 10 reps, drop weight immediately pick up 25 lb weight.
    25 lbs @ until failure, drop again pick up 20 lb.
    20 lbs @ until failure and use other hand to help with the last rep.

You don't want to be able to do 1 more rep or your not doing enough.

Hammer curls (still concentration style) Same routine

Do 3-4 sets of each, but be warned that if you have not worked out a lot or haven't done this routine that you can get some serious inflammation (not a pump) in your arm. I couldn't straighten my arms out for 3-4 days the first time I did it. I also had taken 3 grams of L-arginine 30 minutes before the workout which does help a bit, for me at least. Make sure you get 25-30 grams of protein immediately afterward, a fast absorbing protein such as a good whey would be best and then 45 minutes to an hour eat a good sized meal with 4-6 ounces of chicken or your choice of slower absorbing protein.

Because of a bad shoulder I have to be cautious about my workouts and have to limit myself, but the following has helped me a lot.

For triceps I do the following:

Close hand position push ups (or if you can barbell presses):
    10 sets, each one to failure. Push all the way up and come down SLOWLY.
    1 minute of rest between each set. I time them with my phone.

Weighted dips, or dips to failure. 3-5 sets with 3 minutes of rest between each.

Rest for 4-5 minutes, drink plenty of water inbetween sets.

Overhead tricep extensions.
    Do whatever weight you are comfortable with, aim for at least 6-8 reps, but if you don't fail by the 12th rep you need more weight.

Drop the weight and move down 5-10 lbs and do until failure. 3-5 sets of these. Your triceps should feel very pumped up at this time. As above, make sure you time your protein and then 45 min -1 hour a full meal, not to many carbs and fat if you are not trying to gain much fat. Save the higher carb and fat meals for days where you do your full chest, legs, back, or whatever muscle group you are doing that day.

If you are doing your chest say on monday, I wouldn't do your tricep work until at least Wednesday, Thursday would likely be better, as the triceps are secondary muscle groups when doing chest work.

With back days, again... wait 2-3 days until you do bicep work.

16. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Almost the same here. I know a few body builders who aren't as "strong" as people not as build.

Large muscles does not always equate to enormous strength "Paper Tiger"

17. seiken steve

Bang for buck arm work I like:
    Hammer curls
    Close grip bench
    Skull crushers

What's going to give you bigger trib's, doing press downs with 35kg or close grip bench with 100? And guess which one will carry over to other activities?

18. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Any bodybuilder who really cares about what he is doing will tell you that he lifts for shape and not for strength. Bigger muscles always will play a part in strength though, but this all depends on many factors... genetics being one of the biggest.

19. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

"Running the rack" with the major arm exercises has helped me (and I'm a hard-gainer). Also try working opposing muscles and muscle groups as you go through your sets. (chest followed by back, biceps after triceps, etc)

20. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Well, this is almost whewre I was going