Illustrated Hapkido techniques

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by JoshL, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

just in the interest of full disclosure...just so we all understand where you're coming from...

how much do you gain financially by having your "federation's" books sold? and, how much did you have to pay black belt magazine for the special "invitation" to advertise your products? AND, have you compensated MAP for the advertising you engage in on this free site? how much were you paid to appear in the book?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  2. tmartialaa

tmartialaa Valued Member

Make sure you stretch first and practice your "technique" off your left and right side first before flushing. We don't want Mr. Giovanni, The Shenanigan Hunter, to pull something hunting down cranky Shenanigans on MAP now. Ok Mate? You little yobbo dunny you.

3. tmartialaa

tmartialaa Valued Member

If I was MAP I would much worry bout these guys, seems like they have a greater fan base on this blog with the permitted free advertising allowed by the distinguished bloggers to promote anything they want.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91034
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79298
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87914

I just provided a link to a Hapkido Book, these links have complete new Book review and discussions topics with links to Amazon.com to buy it now section.

SOooooooooooooooo, get hunting Mr. Shenanigan Hunter! Go save MAP from evil wrong doers.

4. tmartialaa

tmartialaa Valued Member

Mr. Giovanni, The Shenanigan Hunter hard at work.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxbGnCUxUhg&feature=related"]The Shenanigan Hunter on the Discovery Channel[/ame]

5. tmartialaa

tmartialaa Valued Member

Not sure. but I think I saw the book on his desk.

6. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Ok, OK. We get the picture. You got caught self-promoting---and yes a lot of other people do it, too. So what. Stop acting so petulant and admit your faux paux and let it go.

In another couple of weeks someone else will pull the same stunt with the same sort of mediocre tripe---and then there will be another guy a couple of weeks after that. Its not as though any of you folks are providing anything in the way of a quantum step forward in the KMA. I have a whole wall full o' stuff that was published before you were a soft look in yer mother's eye. Now will you kindly take your drum and bang it outside someone else's house.

Please?

Regards,

Bruce

7. Giovanni

for my part in this...i apologize to the group. yes it did upset me some that this book was being promoted by "just some guy" and the cost is seemingly so high. probably just should have let it go, but i didn't. i like the new moniker though!

8. THAUSMC

THAUSMC New Member

your boy, the "grandmaster","just some guy", REALLY!!!. Giovanni are you even a martial artist, such disrespect to someone who has devoted their life to an art is just unacceptable. I get that you we're butt hurt over the advertisement but that is just uncalled for, especially when you don't even know the Grandmaster. I'm sure everyone appreciates your apology on here but, I think the Grandmaster is the one you need to apologize too.

9. Giovanni

thaumsc...

the term "your boy" simply means "your friend", or "your buddy" or "your accomplice" acquaintance, whatever. if you think it means something else, you're mistaken. modern talk, that's all.

when i say "just some guy", i'm implying that tmartialaa pretended he's "just some guy" when providing a link to the book, when it's pretty clear to me and anyone that can take 5 minutes to google, that tmartialaa is not "just some guy" and is intimately involved in the book.

and when i say "grandmaster", well, i put it in quotes because i don't know what to do with that term. did morihei ueshiba call himself a "grandmaster"? did jigoro kano? did choi young sool? those people devoted themselves and their lives to martial arts too, just as i have. yes, i'm saying i'm myself personally against self monikers, as in i'd never call myself something like that. but if it makes you happy to call yourself that, then have at it. and i mean "you" in the generic sense, not you personally. i don't necessarily have a problem with you self moniker-izing if that's what you want to do. i don't think it denigrates the lifetime of study in a martial art to question the self-moniker. but again, i just don't know what to do with that term, hence the quotes. addendum: i studied hapkido at a dojang where the proprietor called himself a "grandmaster" also. it bugged me a bit then too, but hey, it's his self-moniker.

i will apologize for the toilet comments, those were uncalled for. my feelings were a bit hurt so i lashed out. and i've already apologized to the group for lighting a flame war--albeit a very minor one. but i'm not apologizing for anything else.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  10. Giovanni

<i decided to deprecate this question. honestly, i don't care enough to get to disseminate an answer>

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  11. THAUSMC

THAUSMC New Member

I don't really care if you apologize or answer any questions. I just thought your comments were in poor taste. As far as what Morihei Ueshiba, Jigoro Kano, or Choi Young Sool called themselves, how could I possibly know that, I wasn't there, were you? Jigoro Kano is the one that came up with the belt system that almost all arts use now, is he a self moniker? The Grandmaster is not a self moniker, he was given this title by an organization outside of his own. He did not self promote himself, he is a good christian man, he wouldn't do that. The rank and titles thing is so retarded, who really cares either way. Who made the original Grandmasters, Grandmasters, I would guess they did since they founded their particular styles. I'm sure you've had several belt promotions, do you not consider your self a "black belt" or whatever level your at? If you do are you then a self moniker, of course not. Everyone has there own opion on this, I just think people get to hung up on it, if he was awarded the title, then so be it. Have a good evening.

12. shredder2011

shredder2011 New Member

The Tactical Hapkido Encyclopedia is made up of still shots from the video. I know this, because I have both the video and encyclopedia. While I think it is a good reference for the Tactical Hapkido system, I do not consider it to be even close as good or professional as Tedeschi's book. The price for the Tactical Hapkido encyclopedia is high, but if you are a student of Tactical Hapkido, then I guess it will be up to you to pay the money. I personally would recommend Tedeschi's book. Best bang for your buck!

13. shredder2011

shredder2011 New Member

Just an FYI,

TMARTIALAA is in reality James Ziots, who is the Vice President of the Tactical Hapkido Alliance.

THAUSMC is in reality Sam Albright, who is a Charter Member/Instructor of the Tactical Hapkido Alliance.

For the most part, these are pretty good guys. They are just defending their organization and standing up for Mr. Rodemaker.

14. shredder2011

shredder2011 New Member

Stop the madness!

Mr. Ziots, please calm down. You are not being a good example for the THA, and with all the views on this site, are not helping the cause. GM Rodemaker needs to put a leash on you. ;)

P.S. You are right though, you are not the only one plugging their respective products.

15. Giovanni

we know who they are. took about 5 minutes of google-ing. i'm sure that they're generally good guys.

16. Giovanni

but since we're back on this...

i don't have a problem with tha and what they're doing, per se. but i do have a problem with title and grade inflation. i mean come on, 8th dan? "grandmaster"? please.

why not just say, "hey i created tactical hapkido, come to my schools and buy my books"? and also, the general obfuscation of who/what they're about on this forum and others...it's a bit off-putting.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  17. shredder2011

shredder2011 New Member

Understood

I agree with you. I was part of the ICHF for several years, and then the THA for several years. Based on my observations, GM Rodemaker took the ICHF material, made a few slight changes, and called it his own created style of Hapkido.

For the record, GM Rodemaker had no Hapkido ranking prior to Combat Hapkido. He studied under Joe Fox in TaeKwonDo, but told me and also in a recorded interview (podcast) that they independently studied hapkido style techniques in their school, but never obtained rank in Hapkido. Once he joined the ICHF, GM Pellegrini promoted him to 2nd Dan, skipping all the other ranks and tests. GM Rodemaker while in the ICHF attended many ICHF seminars and assisted GM Pellegrini.

In 2001, GM Rodemaker left the ICHF, took James Ziots, Doug Brown and a few others with him to start the THA (Rank unknown) and now has the rank of 8th Dan Grandmaster.

I will see if I can find the recorded interview and post a link here.

This is not to discredit GM Rodemaker, but rather to shed some light on what has been publically said and posted.

Here is a paste from his own site

QUOTE FROM THA SITE
    "He started to receive formal training in the martial arts when he was 17 by his mentor Master Joe Fox, now a Grandmaster, Rodemaker received his first degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, but the curriculum taught was Moo Duk Kwan. Being a black belt, his mentor gave Rodemaker a key to the school and made him in charge of the morning classes and then later he taught the evening classes.

During this time he was teaching, he met a fellow student who was also a 3rd dan in Hapkido and the two would come in early everyday before classes started and only focus on practicing the techniques not the forms. Afterwards Rodemaker would then teach his fellow students what he learned."

My question would be: Who was this Hapkido 3rd Dan, and did he issue Rodemaker any rank. Where are the certs, and what Kwan of Hapkido was it????????

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  18. tmartialaa

tmartialaa Valued Member

19. shredder2011

shredder2011 New Member

Thanks

Thank you Mr. Ziots,

20. Giovanni

yes thank you for posting. i listened to the first podcast, all 20+ minutes. it's the most honest thing i've seen/heard in regards to tha. at least i know what they're about and where they're coming from. in the future, more of that please. that's nothing to run from or to obfuscate the origins of your posts. rodemaker is very clear on the goals of the organization and there's nothing wrong with it as long as you're honest about it.