Review - Combat Hapkido Book (2009)

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Thomas, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

John Pellegrini, Combat Hapkido: The Martial Art for the Modern Warrior, (Black Belt Communications LLC: South Korea), 2009, 160 pp., USD $24.95.

The book is an ideal reference book for Combat Hapkido students and instructors.

GM Pellegrini’s Combat Hapkido system is very well supported with a vast video reference library and many seminars around the world. What has been missing in print form though is a good overview of the system and the underlying principles. This book addresses that very well. The opening few chapters describe the core concepts for the system (applicable for any martial art as well) in a clear and easy to follow format.

The remainder of book shows a selection of Combat Hapkido techniques from strikes to locks to throws. There is a wide range of categories and a few techniques for each one shown in excellent full color photography. Although the books shows a wide range of scenarios, unfortunately it overlooks a few of the additional Combat Hapkido modules that help to round out the art. Missing are sections on the Ground Survival Program, the Stick and Knife Program, The Anatomical Targeting Program, and the Cane Program. It would have been nice to at least have a few representative techniques shown. As far as the material shown though, it does not encompass the entire curriculum and the numbering of the techniques shown does not correspond to the video reference library at all.

Another area that seems to be lacking is that there is not a lot of details provided as far as the history of the International Combat Hapkido Federation. I would have liked to see a more detailed biography of GM Pellegrini and of the other senior students who have build this into a worldwide art.

These are minor quibbles though; the strength of this book is to provide an excellent overview of the art and the underlying principles of it. It does so in a great format – everything is well organized, well presented, and lavishly illustrated. This is a beautiful reference book. As such, I highly recommend that each Combat Hapkido school add a copy of this to their library. Individual instructors will find this a great resource for explaining concepts and individual students will find this a great reference. Students or instructors of other arts may find the material and system very enlightening and informative as well, but it really works best as a reference book for Combat Hapkido students and instructors.

Contents:

Introduction
    Chapter 1 – The case for self defense training
    Chapter 2 - Brief history of Hapkido
    Chapter 3 – Evolution into Combat Hapkido
    Chapter 4 – Fundamental Principles and Concepts
    Chapter 5 – Striking and Kicking
    Chapter 6 – Closing the Gap with Trapping
    Chapter 7 – Defense against Grabs and Chokes
    Chapter 8 – Defense against Punches and Kicks
    Chapter 9 – Defense against Weapons

Available through http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Hapkid...ough the Combat Hapkido website www.dsihq.com

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I didn't realize it for a while, but there is actually another Combat Hapkido book that's been released. It was produced by BUDO, probably at the same time as the new BUDO video for Combat Hapkido. From what I've heard, it's mostly a series of techniques, including some of the ground grappling material, as depicted in photo sequences. It sells for $25 through http://www.combathapkido.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BudoBook

I don't think places like Amazon will carry it. I have ordered a copy and will do a review when I read it.

3. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

I am not a ICHF member, but I really liked this book. I think it contains good information on how to use hapkido in a real fight. The funny thing is, much of the information in book is consistant with what my "traditional" Korean instructor taught me.

4. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

WOW, you are among a select group of traditionalists that would say something like that..The rest expend a great deal of time and energy saying that Combat Hapkido is all B.S.

5. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Hmmmm......I have not read the book myself. As far as makeing comments about the work of others being B.S.? I try to stay as far away from comments like that as possible. I find that many people who throw stones are actually doing the least work (on the mat). There are to many internet ninja's being far to critical of others.

:topic: Thomas, I would love to see you at the Traditional Korean Martial Arts Grand Nationals on Saturday November 13th followed by the Master Steve Seo Kuk Sool seminar on the 14th. Both events are sponsored by World Kido Federation and hosted by yours truely. :cool:

6. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

Dr. Syn,

I say that because so many things in the book parallelled what my instructor talked about way before CH came on the scene.

Here are a few examples of great things in this book that my "traditional" instructor taught, as well;

a.) The PEDA principle (perception evaluation decision action)...basically this refers to the idea that your body has to just react in fight. CH uses trapping drills from JKD, and my "traditional" instructor used trapping from Traditional Chinese martial arts. He did not call it PEDA, he just called it "making your hands faster than your eyes". You can learn to find locks when you trap...but catching REAL boxing punches with a x-block is a fantasy.

b.) Distraction...refers to the need to hit someone before you apply a lock. While it s true that a skilled person can SOMETIMES apply locks on a resisting without a distraction, you will most likely need a distraction to take locks in a fight. (In my dojang, I call this "the knock before the lock")

c.)the high and low principle...basically mix up high and low strikes. Again, right out of my "traditional" instructor's play book.

d.) Vulnerable anatomy, E.) redundancy, and f.) speed...these should all go without saying, (but considering the crappy way martial arts are usually taught, the probably do need to be said).

This book is a great book that I would recommend to anyone teaching or practicng joint-lock based martial arts.

...As for people criticising others on the Internet, there are those of us out there that DO notice that that you never see the ICHF leadership on these boards acting like disrespectful jerks, like some of it's detractors...and that's all I'll say about that.

Thanks,

cz

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010