I want your Suggestions!

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Anth, May 20, 2008.

1. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I'd say that defeats the point of being a martial arts planet. We have a lot of forum meets too with the Australians meeting in 2004, Americans in 2005 (or was it 06?), Brits meeting every year and the Kung Fu forum having meets every few months or so.

2. SB1970

SB1970 Valued Member

have the club search renstated would be nice.......................

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

We're working on that.

4. Like Water

Like Water Valued Member

Not necessarily. In a couple of my other forums I regular, there are sections by regions or in the case of MAP, it could be countries. In each country section there could be subsections and each subsection could have a thread for the surrounding city/area (ie: United States->California->Los Angeles, Germany->Berlin, UK->England->London, etc.).

Sounds like you've already turned down the idea, but I think you should, at the very minimum, start a poll regarding all of the realistic suggestions and let us, the members and community decide. You asked for our suggestions and it seems like you're just rejecting them without letting us decide. :confused:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  5. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

No, I just have a good memory for things that have already been suggested and discussed.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76094

If there was enough demand for such a thing, a poll would be put up with possible ways of implementing it then I'd go off the poll, the direction we want to take the site in and my knowledge of what's possible with the software to make it so.

6. Like Water

Like Water Valued Member

I just read some of those replies and it amazes me at how close minded some of the people are about the idea. Martial arts is about being open minded and expanding your horizons, not closing doors. I mean, it's not like I'm suggesting the site is not open to the "planet" anymore. I am merely suggesting that there be a section where locals can go to find other locals. What's the big deal? How does it hurt you guys to have that? You can still browse the same sections you had before, it's just now you can find others who are in your area who may be interested in training together. :bang:

7. SB1970

SB1970 Valued Member

Thankyou:)

8. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Its amazing how many people don't realise that there's a world outside of their respective style forums though and a lot of people don't know about the articles area for example. Further splitting of the site would be detrimental.

If you want to know if there's someone in your area to train with, put a post up asking.

9. Like Water

Like Water Valued Member

I know what you mean. People are creatures of habit, so we go with what's comfortable. I am guilty of this myself and try to be conscious of it when I do.

I will try posting up in the JKD section to see if anyone is local and would like to train. But to be quite honest, as long as they're open minded, I'd even be willing to meet up with someone of a different style. So posting in the JKD section is kind of pigeon holing me.

I understand your concern about thinning out the current sections by adding more though...

10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

We now have a Tower Defence game in the Supporters Arcade :)

11. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Just a thought:

On an archery forum I am on there is an option to extend your profile a bit so everyone can see what equipment you use and style you shoot etc.

They use the same forum system as MAP and it sits rather neatly to the left hand side of where we have 'Age' etc.

Something like:
    "Style - Rank"

I know some people have this in their signature but it would be nice as a kinda standard thing.

12. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Got a link to the archery forum so I can see how it's set up?

13. PaFF

PaFF Valued Member

Download Google toolbar it has an inbuilt spall chucker

14. TheCount

They have just changed their layout... sigh...

15. Topher

Topher allo!

Doesn't Bullshido do this too. It just places the the style entry on the profile where it says age/posts.

16. TheCount

Just another idea to throw into the mix - I have seen a sort of reputation system run very well on another forum - I think the code does in fact exist for this one.

Basically if someone gives a good post rather than replying and saying yeh that's a great post you click a button, select good or bad and give a reason. The only thing everyone else sees is their 'Rep Power' like how much good vs bad they have, but in their user control panel they have view the comments made and all this sort of stuff.

17. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

That's a good idea, however, in practise it's very open to abuse. You get people with sigs saying stuff like "rep me and I'll rep back, no noobs" and silly things like that. And threads springing up with people posting referrer codes and promising to rep people who use them. Sure, we could moderate, but it makes a ton more work.

A better variation of that, one that I've seen work quite well is the "thanks" system. As well as the other buttons, at the bottom of each post is a "thank" button. If someone posts a helpful or useful post then anyone who appreciates it can click the thank button. It's better in a few ways:

1) There's no equivalent to negative reps - this is very seriously abused in many places.

2) The "thanks" are tied to a specific post rather than being given out for some more nebulous reason "yo, bro, rep me pls and I'll rep back, kthxbai!"

3) The names of the people who have thanked the poster for the post are displayed below the post for all members to see - this helps cut down on abuse.

As with reps, the "thanks" are counted up and displayed in the users details that head each of their posts, so you can see who's been thanked a lot and who hasn't.

18. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

The Fish has summed up my thoughts on the subject.

19. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I think a thanks thing would be nice, especially considering the forum is here to be informative as well as a laugh

20. Jeffkins

Jeffkins Sleuth Diplomacy