I don't drink water. Does this affect my workouts?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by flutterfists, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Unisonus

Unisonus Bloody Rare, Please

I like to jug down a pint of beer an hour or two before my workout.

2. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Thats assuming that it is all metabolysed to the second stage, and not flushed out by the effects of the caffienne in those sugary drinks stimulating the pituitary gland. And the wiki is not a reliable source. http://thehighlighter.co.uk/2006/03/12/to-wikipedia-or-not-to-wikipedia/ it can be educational but it is self edited and can be open to abuse.

3. Maverick

Maverick New Member

That's normal. Normal ranges from almost completely clear to dark gold in the morning.

IMO no, you are not hurting/harming yourself by not drinking plain water. As has been rightly stated, things like Gatorade and lemonade are like 90% water anyway. It's always a good idea to drink more, but you're not going to drop dead if you don't.

completely agree with this and everything else you've said. What's this water cult about lol?!?

What if I seperated the h20 and other parts from a Gatorade and had them seperately? Would it be 'water' then :confused: :confused:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  4. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Well if you want to pay that much money for sugary water, then be my guest.

Personally, I like getting free water out of the tap. It does the job better (no sugar).

5. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Plus the added bonus of REALLY quenching your thirst, as where sugared beverages really do not.

6. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Geez-
    This is getting silly guys. We get water in the food we eat- especially if you are eating your fruits and veggies- as well as anything we drink. If you can't make yourself drink plain water, go with diet, caffiene free sodas, drink sugar free Kool-aide, or do what I do with juice- take a large glass fill it halfway with juice and the rest of the way with water. It is true that you need to limit your surgar intake- but yes, you can hydrate youself with just about anything and non-atheletic people get by just fine on cokes and what not. I wouldn't recomend it because we just don't need that much sugar. Sports drinks are decent, especially if you sweat a lot because of the salt and sugar they contain. If you ever get truely dehydrated, ok- not likely for any of us here, the cure is a salt and sugar mixture in the water. Same thing for heat exhaustion- pedialyte is the best thing to make them drink, after that comes sports drinks.

The whole 7 glasses of water a day thing comes from the bottled water industry, not a nutritionist. No one bothered to say anything about it because, hey, its not like drinking more water is going to hurt you.

7. NaughtyKnight

Nutritionists say that you should devide the amount you weight (in pounds) and then drink that much in ounces. If you weigh 160lbs, then you should be drinking 80ounces of water daily.

If you are exercising, you should be drinking 8ounces every 20mins.

80 fluid ounces = 2.4L

8. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Sure you should be getting water- but the simple fact is, you can get water from just about anything. You don't even have to drink all your water- you can eat it as well. And you can get your water from beverages that are not nessicarily water.

9. NaughtyKnight

Yeh, and whats the point of trying to do that when you can make sure by drinking actual water.

I've tried getting water from beer, doesnt work. :p

10. sean

sean THOR!

Garbage.

I personally do not care if you do not drink water, and if you have such a large problem with it, then don't drink it.

EDIT:
    Hardcore :woo:

11. Maverick

Maverick New Member

????

Explain genius!

12. flutterfists

flutterfists Valued Member

It's pretty much gold at all times. Not just in the morning. :eek:

13. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Either you eat a lot of protein and don't drink much water, or you just don't drink much water. Drink more.

The issue here with drinking water is not just energy levels and workout quality, it's gastrointestinal health too.

14. NaughtyKnight

When you are on a high protein diet, you should be drinking alot more water. Protein produces nitrogenous waste and you need water to help your kidneys flush it out.

15. Brat

Brat Return of the Brat!!!

Gatraid is good after a rigorous workout in small amounts, otherwise, your only holding yourself back. Gatoraid is packed with sugar. Drink water. If you don't want to drink water, the next best thing (that wont rot your teeth) is something like Crystal Light or Sprite Zero. Both are sugar free, calorie free, carb free..blah blah blah. But everyone here has a good point, as long as you keep working out, the sugar in your lemonade and gatoraid probably is not THAT bad. Another easy option ( I have done this from day 1 with my lemonade and limeade and nobody even knows, they love it) is to make you own lemonade and use splenda vs. sugar, if you can get fresh lemons or just lemon juice. Tea is good. Caffiene free tea sweetened lightly or sweetend with sweet-n-low is healthy and tasty. You don't have to drink water, just don't drink sugar water..i mean gatoraid.

But looking at it dofferently now, we see the other side. A person who eats a bar of chocolate is just as bad as a person who drinks a bottle of gatoraid.

The key is to not get dehydrated. but I still think water is better.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  16. flutterfists

flutterfists Valued Member

I'm not on any diets that I know off. . .

17. NaughtyKnight

Diet is what you're eating.

18. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

You obviously don't know anything about chemistry OR biology. Firstly you're missing chunks from your equation, it isn't balanced. Secondly, the way you're looking at things is akin to saying that the water that goes out of us is water so it still counts :rolleyes:

Water doesn't have any actual nutritional value, but is massively important in the reactions in the body. Going by your arguement here, I believe yoo're suggesting we drink our own urine as the water in it is fine :rolleyes:

19. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

OMG WOMAN DRINK WATER LOL.....
    all that kool-aid and sugar filled stuff is crap. water is the way to go. Gatorade isint really good for you... drinking water instead of gatorade or koolaid = healthier body. Water also helps when you want to lose weight. As you get older you metabolism willl slow and all that sugar in drinks like koolaid will put on a few extra pounds on your body. Do some research before you start excercising.... it helps in the long run.... :D

20. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

Well i gave up alcohol too ...sometimes with family i do have to drink but thats like once in a month and i have a glass of wine at most...