How long should you be achin'?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by geezer, Oct 21, 2008.

1. geezer

geezer Valued Member

OK, I've managed to stick with this fitness thing for a year and a half now, and have been doing some basic weights (bench, curls, tricept extentions, bent-over rows, squats, etc.) for over a year. I'm keeping the weights moderate and the reps high 8-12. And I'm resting 72 hrs. before repeating the same body area (upper and lower). I've gained strength and definition, but not much bulk, and I'm still sore almost all the time. I often take ibuprofen just to get a decent night's sleep. Is this normal? I've tried supplementing my diet with at least one protein shake a day, but that doesn't seem to help with the muscle soreness.

To be honest, I'm not totally resting on the off days--I alternate Wing Tsun and Eskrima practice and some hill running... but it's not hardcore stuff like competitive grappling and the like. So I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, if it's just age (I'm 53), or if I should just shut up and be thankful that I can do this stuff at all?

Any other older guys out there have any input?

2. Garrett

Garrett Valued Member

I've been lifting for about 2 years and I still get sore every time I work a muscle group. Being sore is a half decent indicator that you are using a high enough resistance. When you stop being sore, you may be lifting too light. I generally wait 4-5 days before I work the same muscle group again, as it usually takes that long for muscles to be completely healed after a workout. Even after DOMS has gone, it takes another day or two for full strength to return.

Ibuprofen and other anti-inflammatory drugs have been shown in some studies to slow the healing of muscles, lengthen the time of DOMS and slow muscle growth. It is the inflammatory effect which, in part, helps induce muscle growth. By taking Ibuprofen you may be delaying your healing, and reducing your muscle gains.
    If you want a pain killer, go with paracetamol which is not an anti-inflammatory.

The last thing is diet. Makes sure you are getting enough protein, in the region of 1.5g/kg. But more importantly, make sure you are getting enough total calories for the activity you are doing. It takes longer for muscles to heal if you are in a large calorie deficit.

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Diet. Do you have a post workout drink you use? I've found that a good post workout drink dramatically reduces DOMS.

4. geezer

geezer Valued Member

OK-- I can cut the ibuprofen if it is only slowing the muscle healing. And, I will continue following my workouts with 1. attention to fluid intake--staying well hydrated, 2. a high carb snack and my usual protein shake: "Instant Breakfast" with "Muscle Milk" added.

The last question then, is how long to wait between workouts of the same body zone. It seems like I'm not fully recovering in the 72 hour cycle I've been using. It seems to take at least 3-4 days for the soreness to fade. Is working out every five days often enough? What is the optimal rest period between workouts?

5. Garrett

Garrett Valued Member

Optimal rest period is highly individual of course.
    Personally I wait until the day after the soreness (DOMS) goes away. Usually works out to be 5 days between workouts for a particular muscle group. 2 workouts a week per muscle group which is plenty to gain muscle.

This is all assuming your diet is adequate. If you find you haven't gained any bulk, it is highly likely that you are not getting enough energy. It takes excess calories to build significant muscle mass. It would be wise to start counting your calories using something like fitday (http://www.fitday.com/) for a while to get an understanding of how much you are taking in and how much you are expending. Then you can adjust accordingly.

6. geezer

geezer Valued Member

Thanks. The problem with gaining mass is that on the one hand, I'd like to appear powerful, but on the other hand, too much bulk can lead to range of motion problems and "heaviness" of movement in the particular martial art I practice (Wing Tsun). Right now, I'm trying to maximize my power while maintaining a moderate size for my height (a short-ish 5' 8"). Also, having just lost nearly 40 lbs. of useless gut, I'm still a bit weight-o -phobic. Oh well, I guess we all have issues...

7. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

That's not necesarily true. Look at Samo Hung. He's a Wing Chun practitioner as well and he can move pretty fast.
    Lot of people believe that if you have big muscles you can't move fast. If you want to be big and fast you need to work on developing bigger fast and slow twitch muscle fibers as well.

8. hapkidonet

hapkidonet New Member

1. You may be over training. Cut back on your overall fitness regimen just a bit, make sure you're getting eight hours of sleep at night (that's crucial!), and increase your protein intake if you can. Then see how you feel. At your age, and as active as you are, you need good rest and sleep. Your body takes much longer to recuperate than a 25 year old.

2. Strength and definition is great! If you actually want more bulk, increase the weight to max out at 6 reps, and rest between sets long enough to stretch the muscle group you are working. And try some high-intensity techniques like drop sets, super sets, 21's, etc, but don't do these too often, and make sure you get enough rest.

3. Nutrition: drink a big shake after your workout with amino acids (especially glutamine) and protein. Lots of protein from lean sources like tuna, salmon, and chicken breasts.

4. It's actually ok to work a muscle group that's still sore from the last workout, as long as you've had those 72 hours rest in between.

5. Flexibility does not have to suffer with weight training. Just make it a point to stretch between sets and you may end up being more flexible, not less.