Hip Flexor Clicking

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by krunk, Jan 26, 2014.

1. krunk

krunk New Member

Hello I am new to the forum and I usually don't register at a forum just to ask a couple of questions but I can't seem to find anything on google because this is kind of an "unique" problem, but anyway here;

I'm trying to increase my leg/hip flexor flexibility and Im doing the dynamic stretch leg raises, all 3 sides, but the problem is, when i do it to the front or to the side, and for example, When Im doing front raises with my left leg, when im bringing it down I kinda perform a circular motion like this:

[​IMG]
    (sorry for the poor presentation but i did it in pain but you get the picture :))

So Im bringing it down and as soon as the leg drops below hip level a "grinding" sensation occurs, not really a click matter fact..
    It doesnt usually happen when im doing it in a straight line but, is it normal for it to happen at all?

2nd Question: What is exactly the proper form for all 3 raises, should I keep my pivot leg straight and not bend the knees, can I bend the knee on the kicking leg, do I arc my back backwards a lil bit when doing it or do i keep it straight.. I tried not bending my knees and when I do it I feel the major tendons stretched and is it ok if they are stretched because I read that they don't possess the ability like muscles to lengthen/shorten?

2. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Hey there and that's a very ver y good question. By the way, I too suffer from the same problem, and have for several years, I'm 36 now and it started for me around age 29. I'm not actually sure why mine does it, and sometimes it's worse than others, stretching has helped me and actually practicing my kicks has helped it a bit too. In the end I really have no idea what causes it, maybe you should see the doc.

3. krunk

krunk New Member

I think it might have something to do with the cartilage around the area, and that wouldn't suprise me because back when i was really young I would do kicks and stuff with random form, and I can't really see the doc.
    It'd be really dissapointing if it's something irrevocable because I'm a person who appreciates every part of his body you know

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Its from muscle weakness. Keep your leg flexed so as to keep your foot near your hip and work mobility drills.

Dont ignore it or it will lead to chronic changes In the joint.

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

leg raises shorten the hip flexors. if you're only doing raises, it's logical that they're getting tight and are starting to bother you. do some of the stretches here, and start doing planks (looking at progressing to single-leg planks, which hit the hip flexors quite hard) and lunges, both of which will both strengthen and stretch the hip flexors if done right.

6. Fish Of Doom

7. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Good stuff FoD!

I'm suffering from some hip issues (Right in the red zone) at the moment and need to focus on strengthening / loosening them a little more.

[​IMG]

8. Fish Of Doom

i used to have pretty bad radiating back pain from it, and it went away pretty quickly with a bunch of lunges.

9. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I had the same problem until recently. I've found weighted squats and lunges did the trick for me personally (mainly lunges mind).

10. Bozza Bostik

They seem to be getting worse as I am doing more meditation and increasing my KMs when running.

Would sitting in Burmese position shorten the hip flexors?

[​IMG]

11. Fish Of Doom

yup. anything that brings your knees in front of your pelvis will.

12. Bozza Bostik

I bloomin' knew it...

Thanks!

13. krunk

krunk New Member

So you're saying just simply do lunges?

14. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i had quite a bit of hip flexor pain from not warm up before a sprint session, many hip flexor stretches made the pain worse.
    bulgarian split squats made it worse

only lunges and squatting made it better

but my adductor also seems to be painful when practicing shoots or stretching them so i might stick myself on the adductor machine.

15. krunk

krunk New Member

Ok thanks for the help I'll try and see what i can do :)

What you didn't answer though, do I bend my knees or no when doing the raises? Because when I perform those stretches my tendons stretch and I read that they shouldnt stretch at all, its like a string burn in the leg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  16. Bozza Bostik

Did DeFranco's Agile 8 last night followed by some lunges and stretches and very little pain when I meditated last night. A slight bit of discomfort about half way through, but nothing major.

17. TheFirstDragon

TheFirstDragon New Member

Perhaps it could be Snapping Hip Syndrome? I think that is my problem when I'm doing side kicks with my left leg.