HIIT adaptation for striking

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by beknar, May 19, 2008.

1. beknar

beknar Valued Member

Has anyone adapted their HIIT routine specifically for striking? I worry that what I usually do for striking would not be sufficiently intense to conform to the Tabata and Tremblay protocols and experimental results. There's also the issue of degradation of technique and form, especially during the last 2 HIIT reps if you're adapting this to your striking practice.

2. Talyn

Talyn Reality Hacker

I stick to keeping the two apart. It seems to me that you could approximate HIIT training in terms of methodology, but because it's easier to reach maximum speed with your punches simply because of a) a lack of resistance, and b) a lack of distance, then the high-intensity bursts would require increased duration or some kind of resistance equipment that is quick to apply by a partner. I would probably put my stock more in the former, though I wouldn't entirely dismiss the latter. I do HIIT on bikes, so I just increase the resistance from 6 to 20 (currently, it was previously 4 to 18).

Regardless, I would prefer to just train my punches normally against a bag and work my HIIT cardio separately. The cardio itself should cross over into the punches in terms of the circulatory aspects and the recovery rate regardless of what limb (assuming your arms are well trained to punch, the cardio method by which you train them shouldn't make too much difference). Alternatively, you could train HIIT via your arms (not punches though) with those odd, arm-bike cardio machines that I've seen. Dunno how common they are though.

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

That's why I don't do stuff like that.

4. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

All i do is 1min rounds all out power punching on the bag.

Technique and form do suffer as you tire, but you have to learn to fight the fatigue and fight through it as you might have to in a fight one day.

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

It's different from doing 20 seconds on 10 seconds off full power punchout for 4 minutes though. My technique will be **** by the 4th round. Boo

6. BakiTG

BakiTG New Member

This is commonly done in my Muay Thai class.

It's always done with a partner holding equipment.

Your rest period is holding the protective gear for your partner.

20 seconds of each pumping out as many high quality specific strike.

I.e. as many right crosses as you can OR as many kicks as you can (to the one spot, from the one leg).

It works well.

7. shift

shift Valued Member

1minute punch out drills
    followed by 10-20 pushups

1 minute Kicking drills
    followed by 10 jump squats or 20 bw squats

Do as many sets as you like