heart rate monitor

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by teacher, Jul 23, 2003.

1. teacher

teacher Valued Member

I just got given a heart rate monitor.But I'm a bit vague on the best way to use it. Any advice?

2. Starboy

Starboy New Member

What's the brand/model?

3. teacher

teacher Valued Member

york pacer 300, starboy. Could you guve me some useful advice?

4. Starboy

Starboy New Member

I'm not too familiar with the model...are you having trouble setting it up or implementing it into a cardio program?

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

6. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Implementing it into a cardio program. In fact I have no cardio program. I have never liked running as I live in the city and small children can be so cruel. Swimming is out. I am willing to try running again and was hoping I could use the monitor to help me train efficiently.

7. Starboy

Starboy New Member

Ok...I can talk about it, but Yoda is more knowledgable. And while we're on the subject, Yoda, can you repost that link to the page with the personalized formula? I seemed to have lost it.

I'm guessing you're going for aerobic endurance and/or fat burning. Basically, you want to work at (I think) 65-75% of your HRmax (maximum heart rate). There are two formulas for determining this. One is:

HRmax = 220 - age

The other is the formula that Yoda has on a page somewhere. It's a pretty good formula and sets the bar a little higher. Though the basic formula would be just fine for the beginning.

So, you're about to be 38, your HRmax would be 182. 65-75% of that would be 118-137bpm. Put on the heart monitor, set these as your low and high ranges, and get to stepping. :)

Note: I'd wait to hear what Yoda says before listening to me though.

As for the cardio program itself, I hate running too, mainly because it's so boring, can be bad for the knees, and bad weather can make it so much worse. Have you considered some kind of no-impact machine (stepper, eliptical, rower)? I'm currently figuring that out for myself and leaning more towards a rower, but maybe you want to check out a few stores and see if anything strikes you.

8. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Thanks a lot for the info. Hadn't thought about indoor machine. Was wondering if shadow boxing would be suitable?
    I'll let you know how I get on. I've just been out for a walk and I think Yoda's higher bar could be good.

9. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Thanks for the link Yoda.
    Forgetting my manners for a moment there, sorry.

10. Starboy

Starboy New Member

Oh yeah...shadow boxing could work, too. Or a heavy bag if you have a place to hang it. It totally slipped my mind. It would be one of my first choices (and was something I was considering) but I have nowhere to hang a heavy bag.

11. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

I recently got a heart rate monitor, I think it makes for much more productive cardio training. I've been able to avoid the lactic acid that builds up from going too intensely and do 30mins of cardio.

12. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

13. teacher

teacher Valued Member

That's exactly the sort of thing I needed. I actually looked here but did not spot the drop down menus only the topics at the side.
    Thank you everyone.

14. Starboy

Starboy New Member

Thanks for the link, Bon. It'll be a lot of help. Do you use the personalized or the standard formula? I find that the personalized formula gives me a higher target heart rate zone. I'd like to get as intense of a workout as possible without it turning into an anaerobic workout.

15. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

a better way to calculate your heart rate zones is the Karnovan formulae. The theory behind it is that below your resting heart rate are beats you won't use so they shouldn't be included.

220 - your age = your theoretical maximum
    resting pulse rate = take first thing in the morning

your max - your resting = your heart rate reserve

work you percentages out from that, it is much more accurate.

I've got some more info on the zones as well, if you want them post back and i'll carry on :D

16. YODA

Someone hasn't been paying attention :D

17. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

my bad, missed the link to your site yoda

18. YODA

Happens to the best of us :D

19. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Yep, personalised for the same reason(s).