healing a torn meniscus in knee

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by aikiMac, Apr 10, 2008.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Will anything short of surgery repair a torn meniscus? It's a long tear, too.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Unfortunately I suspect not. Because of the tear... if it's left unattended to the change of problems in the joint due to scar tissue probably goes very high. I really doubt it's something that would benefit from massage or pressure/trigger points. Because it's vital for the smooth functioning of the joint... I doubt anything short of surgery would sort it out.

3. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Slip's right. Having the surgery myself, I found the pain (really more of a bother) completely gone. My knee cap would also "grap" the lose part of the meniscus and cause irritation. Nothing but surgery and clean up would have taken care or it.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I've had that surgery too.

So long as it's not a crazy tear, after surgery you'll be able to walk out of the hospital (albeit with a bad limp), 2 - 4 weeks you'll be walking pretty much normally and within 4 - 6 weeks you should be able to run again.

My advice would be have the surgery and get into physio immediately afterwards. I waited until about week 2 before going to a physio and had a few complications which he reckoned he could have dealt with or minimised if I'd seen him sooner (a bit of scarring in the muscle).

Hope you get it see to soon.

6. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

I tore my lat meniscus a while back. I needed surgery to repair it.

7. prowla

prowla Valued Member

I had an op for a torn meniscus last year.
    I was walking (hobbling!) within two hours of waking up.
    But it's still not completely right, and I'm wondering if I'll need another...

8. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Torn meniscus

I had arthroscopic knee surgery 3 times for a torn meniscus - 2X on one knee and once on the other. I'm still kickin.

Thanks,
    Tom

9. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

stitchin

Well surgery can mean more than one thing. These days you can have the tear re-attached but that may mean up to 6 weeks on crutches and progressive rehab as you go along.

Otherwise after surgery to remove a piece of the cartilage you are dealing with the aftereffects of a mild trauma to the knee and like any other will heal relatively quickly if you do the normal rehab things.

Good site to look at for knee stuff is 'thekneeguru' which is associated with the Droitwich Knee clinic here in England. I had a guy from the National Ski Team tear a ligament and he was sent straight to this place because of their reputation/skill level.

powchoy

10. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Arthroscopic Knee surgery

Don't be apprehensive about the possibility but make sure you get two opinions. I have had 3 athroscpic knee surguries fo miniscus tears. I never spent a moment on crutches and was working out at full capability within 3 weeks.
    There was some PT involved albeit minimal. I'm 59 & still kickin. Take a little time and check it out. A lot of apphrehension is involved in the unknown. Just do it if the surgeons prescibe it and it will probably be less inconveniences than you imagine.

Keep kickin,
    Thanks,
    Tom

11. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

A bit of OT but how do you tear a meniscus ? Yes i'm a injury fobic.

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Athletics. Excessive pressure on the joint, as from twisting, can tear the cartilage cushions and/or the ligaments.

13. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

like "the football knee" ?

14. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Ouch! i really do hope it heals on its own, or that your surgery is successful if you choose that path. I had an accident at work last year, i ended up tearing my MCL and meniscus. Luckily, there tears weren't severe enough to require surgery but i had PT for about 4 weeks.