Groin is hurting after 1st month of training

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by amishman, Aug 10, 2007.

1. amishman

amishman Valued Member

I posted this in the wrong section so I am now posting here since I do not know how to move the original post.

I just started classes one month ago and about 1/2 way through class I felt pain in my groin area. Right between my inner area between my lower crotch and where my legs connect to it. I did not feel anything break or tear while stretching but did get lower on my splits than I had been. Far from doing the splits but I was sure feeling the inner groin area having lots of tension. I guess I must of stretched it too far or maybe tore it a bit. Not sure.

Anyway, that was 2 weeks ago and I have not been to class for the last 2 weeks. For a few days after that last class I felt the discomfort. During that last class it was pretty sore where I was feeling pain and seemed to be very weak in the area. A few days went by and I started feeling better. After a week I did not feel anything in pain down there.

Today, I decided to just do some very light horse style stances where I get low like you supposed to. About an hour later I am feeling not pain but a feeling down their. It feels tender like if I do anything more I might feel pain.

So, I am now 41 years old and have not done martial arts for 20+ years up until a month ago. I guess I have injured myself down there but want to get back to class.

Any recommendations on what I can do for groin relief. I am afraid if I go to class it will really start hurting. or, is this something I just need to heal over months of not doing anything that stresses the area?

I was hoping of some secret remedy to help keep it comfortable so I can work out.

tj

2. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Rough dude, you hurt your groin. Bummer.

3. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Never do horse stance again.
    Poke your groin with your thumb looking for sensetive spots if you find one rub it until the pain decreases. This releases trigger points in the area.
    Strengthen the gluteus medius with side lying clams, and side lying leg abductions. Bridges double or single leg would be good to.

Its very common for people to get groin pain. I've got some at the moment and I found trigger points especially in my adductors, abductors and the quadratus lumburum (sp?). I think its because my adductors are tight and my gluteus medius is weak.

4. amishman

amishman Valued Member

Then I guess I would need to halt training forever as there are so many low stances I have to do. Maybe the new stance is just standing. <grin>

tj

5. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Which is most likely how youll be positioned if you were to get into a fight anyways...oh no. :rolleyes:

6. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Horse stance is like a isometric wide stance squat its not a good idea with a groin strain its enforcing the use of the adductors as hip extensors when that should be mainly done by the glutes and hamstrings.

Maybe do tai chi instead. I dont think that has any stances that are held its mainly about moving with good posture.

7. TigerDude

TigerDude Valued Member

Jut take it easy for a while - you're working muscles that you haven't in a long time. It'll get better.

These guys are just on the "horse stance is bad" kick.