Got a Barbell, now I need some advice.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by philliphall, Sep 14, 2005.

1. philliphall

philliphall Valued Member

After four months on horrible resistance machines I have purchased a barbell thanks to advice on this forum.The barbell is all I the weights equipment that I have (except some books with diagrams to show me what deadlifts, clean and jerks etc actually are). I am training in Muay Thai and want to use the barbell to improve my strength and I have got about two one hour slots available each week. Could anyone suggest a routine I could follow ?. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

2. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

If you pick up a copy of MuscleMag International or Muscle & Fitness magazines they ALWAYS have an article or 2 about routines..Furthermore Robert Kennedy the editor of MuscleMag published a book that is excellent and filled with dozens of routines..It's what I used to form my routines..Plus the pictures of the fitness girls make for an interesting deversion...

3. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Check out this site , mine of info with demo's of lifts

4. CX Imran

CX Imran Valued Member

I second the exrx link, it will help you immensly!

5. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

I would completely agree with this...if he wanted to become a bodybuilder, instead of a martial artist. Those Fiction Fitness mags will build good-looking fluffy muscles and not much else. General rule of thumb - if "muscle" is in the title, it probably won't make you a better athlete.

Crazy Basic Program #27:
    Day One
    Overhead Squat 7x3
    Floor Press 4x4 (if you don't have a workout partner, ignore this and do the next instead)
    Bent Barbell Row 4x4
    Generic Weighted Ab Exercise 3x5

Day Two
    Full Clean & Press 7x3
    Pull-up 4x4
    Generic Weighted Ab Twisting Exercise 3x5

If you can only find 2 hours a week, and you don't have a bench, this should do for now. However, more equipment would be nice. Not mandatory, but nice. "From The Ground Up" might be a book worth looking over. It focuses on the olympic lifts, but A - those aren't half-bad, and B- all you need for them is...a barbell.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005