general standards for SandC

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Dead_pool, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

(that said, we could compromise and leave it at weighted dips :D)

2. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Must be hell trying to arm bar a guy who's hanging up in the air lol;)

On a more serious note though I agree with the stability and the strength required by gymnasts but slow and static style ring work would likely lack the explosive elements that are crucial to grappling.

weighted dips would be a better compromise I would think but I'm sure there are issues with that aswell, no single exercise or training style will be suitable by it self. Benching, static holds, dips and press ups all have their place. It's combining head things in the right % that will get the best results in any program, depending on your goals the % might change a bit but you can't afford to ignore any area if your aiming high.

Edit - of course the same theory applies to all the other major muscle groups and to your cardio aswell. One single method will never be able to give all people all things especialy not at the upper levels in any sport.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I'd second this from personal experience and I'm not even able to do a full crucifix hold yet. Sledgehammer swings are amazeballs mind but the rings hit that much harder. You do miss that explosive movement though that's always good to train.

Nowt wrong with a good bench press though.

4. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I wish to recant my statement about the body weight lifting posted by red coat, its pretty possible, I just over head pressed my weight five times, it wasnt that hard either. I weigh 175 pounds.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Should you be doing that with a broken vertebae?

6. bodyshot

Bro Im a mans man, lols I dont have a broken back, I was just makeing a joke about wrestleing slams.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Ahhhh it wasn't clear. So how long have you veen a "mans man" ?

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

if you eat the same way you do in your log then im doubting this...

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

really tell that to the 96kg powerlifter i know who benched 160kg, and friday hit a 106kg overhead squat, hard to do that with resitricted shoulder ROM no?

all exercises have potential problems with them, for a lot of athletes involved in contact work bench presses is preferable to overhead pressing for example as buddy morris has pointed out numerous times

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

really? joel jamison likes his MMA athletes to have a resting heart rate in the low 50s, for amateurs he trains its the mid to high 50s, but what does he know he only trains guys who have held titles in UFC and pride, competed in ADCC and other events over 20 years

11. Mangosteen

I don't even know how relevant resting heart rate is for S&C standards, maybe for heart health but for general S&C standards?

When I ran daily (in high school) i was slow as hell and weaker than a puppy but i had a resting heart rate in the high 50s.

I would be more concerned of how an athletes heart rate jumped during training and how he handled the demands of gameplay.

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Practising arm bar defences is the best way to get better at avoiding arm bars, your outside training needs to time efficent and to not cut into your class time
    I have watched an MMA coach teach guys ring work, he was a good level club gymnast , none of his guys really benefited from the work (including me) because we only trained twice a week for 40 -45 minutes during MMA class, he trained every day in his gymnastic class for years to reach the level where doing this stuff paid off, in the same period i watched a member of my powerlifting gym take his deadlift from 160 to 250kg training twice a week for an hour each time, and still have time to get better at MMA

If you only have a few hours to train its often best to pick something that is relatively time efficient and give good gains, thats what the powerlifts do typically for most people without having to put too much time into them

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

its really more about now much output you can produce before going lactic, and how quickly you can recover between rounds, but its only one measure (power output at threshold, HR recovery between rounds are others you can use as well)
    but Jamision found from looking at athletes HR reading over 10 years thats those with a good resting HR were able to produce more power aerobically and there typical HR reading throughtout a fight stayed faily constant , and they recoverd quicker between rounds, i think its really a balancing act too high a resting HR and you seem you rely too much on the anaerobic system, so are explosive as hell but gas quickly, to low a resting hr and you typically have great endurance but now the power to explode and actually hurt people

14. Mangosteen

exactly why i dont recommend olympic lifting for anyone except hoping to compete in olympic lifting.

i understand what you're saying on the HR bit. makes sense.

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

All depends on his form. The bench press was a popular assistance exercise for the standing overhead press because they could lean backwards during OHP and recruit the chest muscles into the movement (which wad bad for the their backs, and so was removed from competitive powerlifting in the 70s). So I'd guess if the guy you know benches a lot, he either does a lot of remedial exercises or compromises his back health.

16. Mangosteen

it was removed from weightlifting in the 70's.

17. bodyshot

I find that eating 2500 calories a day max works just fine for me, Im naturally kinda fit/well built....I used to lift and eat tons so I made some permanent gains at one point.
    I love power lifting, I hope you didnt think I disliked it, I just dont use the bench press was my point, instead I do pushups.

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

and it was because of judging issues and politics, not back injuries

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

That's what I meant lol.

From wiki: "By 1972, the clean and press was discontinued because athletes started to push with legs and bend backwards instead of strictly pressing the weight overhead."

Which is what I described in my earlier post. Bench press is only useful for those who engage in one sport (powerlifting), and those who do it often will need to do corrective exercises often.

20. Mangosteen

There was an analysis done on whether the press actually does stress the back more than other lifts and they found that it didnt. It was just that it was difficult to judge because of the speed of movement - I think that's what fish was getting at.